Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,095   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Most 'surprising' camera?

For a bit of fun, I'd be really interested in the camera that always seems to 'surprise' you... the one that you might pull out of the cupboard every now and then and love the results...

For me it's the Konica S2. It's not the prettiest camera and the ergonomics aren't wonderful, but I am always pleasantly surprised when I dev a film and do some prints. That lens has a really nice quality to it... the best $20 I have ever spent.

I also handled a Leica IIIf for the first time yesterday. It's damaged but I LOVED just holding it. That camera seems to fit my hand perfectly. That was a surprise I guess ;-)

Anyway, I am interested in your surprise cameras! Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Yashica 230AF surprised me from day one. MY Petri 1.9 Color Corrected Super also have magical qualities.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first Yashica Electro 35 GSN ($3 from a thrift shop) surprised me with its optical quality...so I did not hesitate to pick up another one for only $2 when I saw it at another thrift shop. My Brownie No. 2 box camera (free via Craigslist freebies section) surprised me when I first shot it. I love the images that come from it. They are about a million times more interesting to me than Holga pix. I just need to take care of a spring that broke, so that my rolls will wind tightly again. Once I do that, I will shoot it often. My early 1990's Canon Sureshot Zoom 76 does pretty well too. I have no problems taking it along with me as my only camera on snap-shooting occasions. It is the one that cost the most. I got it brand new for a birthday/Christmas present in the early '90's.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-04-2011 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's fabulous that great cameras can cost $2 now ;-) I found a mju v1 for $2 a few months ago, and have put about 5 rolls through - have been really happy with the results. Unfortunately I dropped it into a gorge on a canyonning trip over the weekend :-( Anyway, I am sure another will turn up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was browsing some antique stores in St. Louis last fall when I picked up, among a couple other camera, an Argus C3 (from the serial number, it seems to be from 1950). I'd never used one and had no earthly idea how to operate it, but it was in nearly mint condition and I just couldn't pass up owning such a legendary camera. I took it back to my hotel room and studied the manual online, then the next morning I took it out on a photowalk in the historic Soulard neighborhood with some B&W film and my light meter. When I developed the film upon returning home from my vacation, I was stunned. Not only were most of them amazingly in focus, but they were sharp and they were some of my best artistic photographs ever. I'm still in awe of this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Olympus OM-2 with a 28mm wide angle that I was payed $250.00 to take it. Well... actually the camera and the $250.00 were payment for a John Deere sign that I got for free.

That is the camera I use the most but I have several that are surprising and enjoyable to use and create great pics. They are just to many to list.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a Pentax K1000 that I bought off some guy on the street for $30 25 years ago. Great camera and as basic as they come.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Voigtländer, E-messer. I had it for a year or so, and just love to hold it. It will get more use now, for portraits and landscapes. My FED3 is also lovely and had it not scratched the negatives it would have been more used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My most surprising one is a Retina Reflex, got it for 10$ at a tractor show took it home cleaned the glass and checked the light meter, took it back to the show the next day and started taking pictures with it. It always gives excellent results. A different year at the same show picked up a Yashica 635 that also was a very pleasant surprise.
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the replies. Yashica is certainly doing well ;-)

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin