Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,068   Online: 875

Shooter
    35mm RF

Collapsing/unlocking a Leica Elmar 5cm f3.5

I've been playing with a IIIf and have done something stupid... I can't move the focus tab anymore (locked to infinity) and also can't seem to collapse the lens. Have looked at the manual but still can't work it out. Please help a stupid geek ;-) Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least on a Summitar, to unlock the focusing ring, you press the round button on the tab in.
    To collapse and extract the lens, a quarter turn of the front section will unlock it, allowing it to collapse. After extracting, another quarter turn in the other direction will lock it in place.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the same on the Elmar

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Elmar works the same as the Summitar. Sometimes, the barrel will be jammed so hard over to the right that trying to rotate CCW to collapse it will only unscrew the lens from the body - in that case, try taking it off the body and using both hands. At least, I've seen that with Summar, Summitar and Industar-22s. For whatever reason, my 1936-ish Elmar barrel doesn't lock - it can be turned forever in either direction - but, I don't think that's a deliberate feature.

Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fantastic! Thanks very much - you've all saved me from a lot of frustration. Appreciated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin