Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,275   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Markster. I have the 35-80mm and 70-200mm lenses (pretty sure, I'm at work).

I think for the time being I'll stick with what I have, buy a tripod and some filters, and just take a lot of pictures.

thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate them all.

Pete
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, I'd stick with what you got for awhile. If you like it and you like Canon, you can upgrade to an Elan 7, 3, or 1V depending on the funds and start to think about getting nicer Canon lenses. If you like autofocus, but want to try out Nikon, then do move to Nikon at that point - no wasted money on Canon EF lenses.

On the other hand, if you want manual focus, I'd move to one of the older systems as mentioned above. Canon FD, a Nikon, Olympus OM, etc. You'll find that it's easier to focus AND it's cheaper. Win-win.

Using what you already have for awhile will let you figure out what you like and what you don't, which will inform upon choices you make in the future. Figure out what focal lengths you like, if you want a zoom or not, manual/autofocus, how much distortion bothers you, what f-stops you use, etc. Once you have some of that figured out, it will be easier to pick a lens that is suitable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    Your Canon Rebel G has an EOS lense, I don't know the exact acronym but it stands for something like Electronic Optical Stabilizationg (or whatever).

The older Cannon FD mounts are nice but the prices are going up. They are also dead-ends. The EOS lenses have the option/capability of being mounted on digital camera bodies should you wish to pull double duty later on.

I would definitely stick with what you have for now. Just do it all manually (don't let it focus, don't let it set aperature, shutter, etc... Just use it for a light meter and take your own shots). Same result, and you don't fork over a ton of money.

I found that my standard 50mm prime wasn't doing justice for group photos and interior house shots so I got a wide angle lense. 28mm for me, but anything 35mm or so is decent. On top of that I have a minimal zoom (around 70mm-200mm) which is very useful for things slightly further away. I don't always zoom to the max, but it gives you that option to frame your shots better than a prime lens does.

Just general shooting, I would say you should have everything covered with 2 lenses:

1) 28mm (or 35mm) to 70mm (or 80-100mm, whatever) <-- your main shooting lens, from wide to just a bit closer than standard.

2) 70mm-80mm to anywhere in the 150mm or 250mm range. 300mm and up get really pricey.

#2 is optional. Can be bought later. You can get it all done with a prime lense (50mm/f1.4) but having that ability to zoom is more useful for framing of shots.
    E.O.S is Electro-Optical System, and also the Ancient Greek goddess of the dawn.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Tim for the camera info. and Benjiboy I'll be adding that to the general trivia file in my head ;-)
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try putting your location in your profile and see if there is anyone near you that you can get together with. Also, check out the groups to see if there are any that interest you.

Joel
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Joel, didn't realize I hadn't put it in there! I'll check out the groups as well.
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ptschantz View Post
    Thanks Tim for the camera info. and Benjiboy I'll be adding that to the general trivia file in my head ;-)
    I love trivia my head 's full of it
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I love trivia my head 's full of it
    Trust me, I understand
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PT...

Another thought would be to find a pro shop in your area and see if they rent equipment. If so, they may have some of the lenses you are interested in using. This way you can "test drive" them before buying.

Good luck and welcome to APUG.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The body you have is fine and gives you access to a very nice range of lenses. A very cheap and good lens is the 50/1.8. $100 new, sharp and very nice. I can pretty much do almost everything with a 50.

Just go with that to begin with, once you find your pace and way of shooting it will come naturally what you need, be it a manual camera, more EOS lenses, medium format and whatnot. The biggest mistake that most (myself included) make when starting out is to constantly buy all sorts of equipment, bodies and lenses looking for the next great thing. Take it easy and you'll waste little money buying/selling things.
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin