Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,719   Online: 853

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for trying what you have first. I've not had a lot of experience with Canons, other than QL-17's and Dial 35's. Recently, a friend of mine who's moved to digital, gave me his old ELAN 7E with the plastic mount kit lens (and a second zoom). I put a roll of color film in it and the results were nothing that excited me. Just for kicks I tried some Tri-X @800, and was quite impressed with the results.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Bob, I might look into that once I know enough to make an informed evaluation (and once I'm developing my own film so results are available sooner).

film_man, that is definitely one of the lenses I'm considering.

Pete
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Reid, I'm currently trying some HP5 @ 400
    Canon EOS Rebel G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    ...The biggest mistake that most (myself included) make when starting out is to constantly buy all sorts of equipment, bodies and lenses looking for the next great thing. Take it easy and you'll waste little money buying/selling things.
    You mean the buying and selling stops once you're no longer "starting out"? So after you've been doing it for 30 years you are satisfied with your equipment? I wish!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    You mean the buying and selling stops once you're no longer "starting out"?
    Well.... I'm going to claim 5th on this one.... (for non-US members, it's a constitutional amendment concerning self-incrimination)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    For the non-US members, it's also culturally/socially a sign of guilt when one takes the 5th (aka pleads the 5th).
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    The body you have is fine and gives you access to a very nice range of lenses. A very cheap and good lens is the 50/1.8. $100 new, sharp and very nice. I can pretty much do almost everything with a 50.
    Amen to that. That 50/1.8 lens might be the best bang for the buck of any modern lens on the planet. (I do think the 50/2.5 "compact-macro" is better when used in manual focus, but it's more expensive and the autofocus is kind of cranky.)

Contrary to what some others have said, I think you should run out and buy this one lens; shooting with a fixed focal length requires a little bit of discipline, and IMHO what you learn while developing that discipline is an important part of the core of photographic skills. (Also, I just think it makes sense to spend your money on optics rather than mechanics most of the time.)

I love the older FD stuff, but I don't think you need to rush to it. It's out there if you ever feel the need for something more viscerally manual, or stumble on a bargain.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I agree there's no need to rush a purchase, keep in mind that if you plan on using the camera manually, the EOS system is far from optimal for manual use.

A more "dedicated" manual camera can be nicer to use and, especially, give much easier and more accurate focusing if chosen well.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not the EOS? Does it not have a viewfinder? You can peer through, adjust the focus, change the f stop, etc? Or is it all going through an LCD on the back like a DSLR or something?
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin