Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,263   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Unknown Russian Camera: Military?

I´ve been offered this item by an antique collector who does not know any details about it. Can someone help? Pictures from the seller, not mine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img1.jpg   img2.jpg   img3.jpg   img4.jpg   img5.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a Zenit Photosniper. they used to be sold in the UK by the official Russian camera importer TOE (Technical & Optical Equipment)

Basically a Zenit E with a 300mm lens fitted to a pistol grip which made the whole thing easier to balance for hand held work.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looks like a Zenit ES photo sniper. Everything in soviet russia was made for military use

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sameli/461359281/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ian was faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks to me like a Fotosniper FS-3 kit, sold as a complete kit by KMZ from 1965 to 1982. The body is a Zenit-ES, the tele lens a Tair-3AS 300/4.5, and it also came with a Helios-44 58/2 lens, and 5 filters. No, I'm not an expert - I found it in my copy of Princelle, page 173.

P.S: Gotta be quick, don't you. In the time it took me to type two lines there were three other replies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's because I remember seeing them in the shops, and in the display window of T.O.E. in London. Also I had a Zenit E in the late 1960's

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a Zenit E Photo Sniper, Outfit they may have been used by the Russian Military I don't know, but they were available in the U.K about twenty years ago in camera stores, we used to sell them in the stores I worked in, they were imported by a company called Technical And Optical Equipment, the 300mm Tair 3 is a pretty good pre-set lens and it should also have in the kit a 58mm Helios lens. If you decide to buy it be careful where you use it, I stupidly once used one in Belfast during " the troubles" and nearly got my head shot off by the British Security Forces because it looks so much like an AK 47 from a distance.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From the above answers, you might get the impression that it was only available (outside the F.S.U.) in the U.K. It was not: you could get it anywhere. As far as i know, it's not a rare thing, nor should it be expensive (it wasn't back then).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    T.O.E which was Russian owned were particularly active in the UK so Zenit's were quite common, but of course they were available world-wide.

They are still available new although the camera body is now more a bit more modern 196 euros/$295

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-08-2011 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd feel like a right wally using one of these in public.......either that, or be very worried about being arrested!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin