Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,490   Posts: 1,644,822   Online: 947

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    There's a bunch of '70s rangefinders that have manual exposure and 2.8 lenses, but they're not point and shoots as they require manual focusing.
    Thanks Steve. I want AF ability for grabbing quick shots. I was thinking about the Hexar with the 35mm f/2.0 lens but got a recommendation to check out the Contax G series cams. Wish I could try these out before buying but will have to rely on recommendations.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I looked for something like this and the closest I can come to is the Nikon 28Ti and 35Ti.

• The Epic is an inexpensive, pocketable, strictly P&S autofocus with a great 35mm f2.8 lens.
    • The Nikon 35Ti is a feature packed P&S autofocus, aperture priority, limited full manual mode and has a great 35mm f2.8 lens. The 28Ti is the 28mm version. It is shirt pocket size but heavy even though it is titanium. It was a very expensive camera when it was released and is still up there in price.
    • The Pentax MX is a full manual SLR and with a pancake lens is coat pocket size. The exceptional Pentax M lenses are much smaller then all others SLR lenses except for the Olympus OM. Eric at http://www.pentaxs.com/ can service anything Pentax.
    • The Olympus OM set the trend for small size and rugged. Like the MX, it's exceptional OM lenses are smaller then the others as well. The OM2, OM3 and OM4 are all the same size with additional features.

You might also want to review CameraQuest's Compact RF 35's if you haven't already.
    Thanks for the reply Les. If the pictures are to scale, then I think the max size I'd want to go is the size of the Nikon 35ti. I've owned the Epic and OM-1 in the past so this puts in perspective.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ricoh GR1 series should be available for that price. It has program and aperture priority. No full manual mode. It does however have a spot meter mode, an exposure compensation dial, and a fixed focus mode that essentially turns of the AF for a fixed distance (you can set this too).

It's also extremely small. It's roughly the size of the Epic but I feel like it is more compact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi George,

The Nikon 35ti and 28ti sound like the smallest cameras that offer what you are after (they don't have a full Manual mode, but they do have aperture priority and exposure compensation), they are "pocket sized" and reasonably rugged - not to mention the allure of Titanium and that glorious "analogue display" on top. I wouldn't say it is "tack sharp" wide open at f2.8, then again I don't think ANY lenses (maybe just a few exceptions) are "tack sharp") wide open. At f2.8 this lens is pretty darn sharp, but it is best at f5.6. I have a 35ti and am impressed. I also have a Konica Hexar AF, which is the other camera which may meet your criteria. It has an f2.0 lens (a very good lens too - like the Nikon), a full Manual mode and a "silent-mode", however it is a larger compact than the 35ti (not quite pocket sized, so I end up using my Nikon more) and it's maximum shutter speed is 1/250th versus the Nikon's 1/500th (both are Leaf Shutters). The Konica CAN take filters (unlike the Nikon), so you could use a ND filter in bright sunlight, and depending on what you want to use the camera for, having access to filters could be a huge deal !!

Regards,

Damen

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DamenS View Post
    The Nikon 35ti and 28ti . . . they don't have a full Manual mode,
    As I stated earlier, the 28Ti and 35Ti both have "limited full manual" mode in that you set aperture and shutter speed.

You set the mode to T. You set the aperture as you want and shutter speed is limited to you pressing the shutter to open and then pressing again to close.

BTW, both aperture and shutter speed determined are indicated in the analog display and in the viewfinder for the latter. This means you know the selections made and you can override. There is also exposure compensation and manual focus override too.
    Last edited by Les Sarile; 01-09-2011 at 09:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered a Leica screw mount camera? You can easily get one with a collapsible lens for under $500....

Otherwise the XA Olympus and Ricoh GR1 series are both excellent - the GR1's have a built in flash. Both are aperture priority, with exposure overide..I've owned both, and both were fun to use and produced great results..

I've always found manual exposure to be an afterthought on most P&S cameras - even the great Konica Hexar's were not the easiest to use in manual (but were supershap and had reliable AF - I used to have a Rodium one...)..

Thats why if manual exposure is importand I'd look at an old Leica - fun to use, and very cool too..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Olympus XA and it is really nice. It has aperture priority, and a +1.5 stops button. While it doesn't have auto-focus, it does have a rangefinder, which is quick to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goonygoogoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Les. If the pictures are to scale, then I think the max size I'd want to go is the size of the Nikon 35ti. I've owned the Epic and OM-1 in the past so this puts in perspective.

George
    The Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 is about the same size as the 35ti (although the flash pops out the side when turned on), and last I checked they tend to be a fair bit cheaper - not sure if you can get them fixed anymore but it's usually cheaper just to buy another one I haven't owned a 35ti, but the Canon is generally quite well regarded for picture quality, and has a large number of pre-programmed lighting scenarios for calculating proper exposure. Caveats: +/- 1.5 exposure comp., but no manual settings other than flash/red-eye reduction off or on. Also, the focus/zoom motor is a tad noisy - not noticable outside in a public place, but quite noticable in a quiet room.

It's my go-to camera when I want something small and think I will need a few grab shots. It takes surprisingly nice head or head-and-shoulders portraits as well in either portrait or macro modes - the flash isn't usually garish.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goonygoogoo View Post
    Paul, thanks for the recommendation. How's the AF on the G series cameras? This certainly has appeal as I hear that 45mm lens is quite sharp.

George
    It's been a while since I shot with it - I bought it for my dad. But from what I recall, the AF was ok, not as fast as the latest batch of bodies and lenses. But fast enough for what my dad would use it for (he's 86). The Ziess T* lens is amazing! I recall being really surprised when I saw my test roll from the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at the Rollei 35 - completely manual, all mechanical and the focus is set by estimation or external rangefinder. Superb results from this little gem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin