Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,437   Online: 1260

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Klasse W (28mm fixed lens) or Klasse S (38mm fixed lens). I have the Klasse W, never leave home without it.

Aperture Priority or Full Auto exposure modes, has a nice EC dial on the front. Autofocus is quick and accurate, and it has a menu-based manual focus mode.

I cannot find one single thing about this camera to complain about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all for the recommendations. I think I've decided to go with a Contax G2 and a 45mm f/2 lens. Will let you know how it's working out in a little bit. Once again, thanks.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goonygoogoo View Post
    I'm in the market for a reasonably priced (<$500) film compact p&s camera
    Well there goes the first two considerations . . . ;-)

Nonetheless, the Kyocera licensed Contax looks like an extraordinary system particularly the assessment that their 21mm is less distorted then an SLR's 21mm. I will have to check this system out myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Well there goes the first two considerations . . . ;-)
    Hahaha...that's fair.

I just figure that I won't be happy with a camera without manual control so I'll pay a little more than my initial target price. Can't wait to see what you do with the 21mm when you get it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I realise you've already made up your mind and coming to this thread late, but the Contax G isn't compact. They are the same size as a small SLR -- Olympus OM, Pentax ME, etc -- and noisier. That said, the image quality is great. I recently sold mind because I wasn't using it much, but I never had any problems with quality. The shots matched any other 35mm camera I've used, including Leicas.

If it was me I'd either go with a Hexar AF: still quite large for a compact, but so great in other ways with the silent advance and a really high quality fast 35mm lens and it does have full manual control. Looking back at some old negs the Hexar negs jumped out at me as, I think, the most consistently high quality of any 35mm I have. Or the Rollei AFM35/Fuji Klasse which I find a super-reliable take-anywhere camera. The metering on mine is the best I've used on a compact, I think, and it's a surprisingly good lens. Aperture priority or program mode only, though, not full manual. I've taken just the AFM on trips before and not been disappointed when I came back. This paris trip was shot with just the AFM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcg_pho...7612348971745/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin