Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,268   Online: 819

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best 35mm Film Compact P&S - Recommendation

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced (<$500) film compact p&s camera that has manual controls for exposure, f/2.8 lens or better and fixed focal length. Age/vintage doesn't matter so much as long as I can get someone to service the camera if needed. Lens has to be tack sharp wide open. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    This may not be the kind of thing you're looking for; but you should be able to get one around your price range, the lenses are sharp and I think you can still get them serviced. (But I'd look into the before buying one, if it's a concern.)
    Contax G series. They use Carl Zeiss T* lenses, have automatic or manual control for exposure, and the 45mm lens is f2.

I'm sure others here will have suggestions perhaps better suited to the p&s description; I know there are fans here of the XA, but I have no experience with those.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Oly Stylus Epics and Yashica T4 Supers were probably best of show in their day. Problem now, though, is getting a sick one fixed. I'd suggest looking at something like a Nikon FG with a 50/1.8 E lens. Plentiful, cheap, and way more flexible. The Contax G series, as mentioned above, is also nice but pricey.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are hardly any modern-day P&S cameras with manual controls. That sort of goes against the idea of a point and shoot.

The Rollei AFM 35/Fuji Klasse has aperture priority or program autoexposure. Same goes for the Contax TVS.

And generally, a point and shoot isn't made to be serviced -- just replaced. And most point and shoots have very slow lenses.

Perhaps, what you want is a compact 35mm camera from the 1970s or earlier. The Rollei 35 has all-manual exposure but is scale focus (guess).

The Olympus 35 RC has trap-needle autoexposure or full manual exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Manual exposure control on a P&S narrows the choice a lot. Maybe no camera can meet this requirement.

Firstly I thought of the Minolta TC-1 but that's Aperture Priority not full manual and has a 3.5 lens.The Ricoh GR1 family has the 2.8 lens but again, they're Aperture Priority, as is the Nikon 35TI and the Hexar. There's a bunch of '70s rangefinders that have manual exposure and 2.8 lenses, but they're not point and shoots as they require manual focusing.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Leica MiniLux has a 40mm 2,4 Summarit and I believe it also has some sort of manual mode.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'd take a look at the various Rollei 35s.

Shooter
    35mm
    I looked for something like this and the closest I can come to is the Nikon 28Ti and 35Ti.

• The Epic is an inexpensive, pocketable, strictly P&S autofocus with a great 35mm f2.8 lens.
    • The Nikon 35Ti is a feature packed P&S autofocus, aperture priority, limited full manual mode and has a great 35mm f2.8 lens. The 28Ti is the 28mm version. It is shirt pocket size but heavy even though it is titanium. It was a very expensive camera when it was released and is still up there in price.
    • The Pentax MX is a full manual SLR and with a pancake lens is coat pocket size. The exceptional Pentax M lenses are much smaller then all others SLR lenses except for the Olympus OM. Eric at http://www.pentaxs.com/ can service anything Pentax.
    • The Olympus OM set the trend for small size and rugged. Like the MX, it's exceptional OM lenses are smaller then the others as well. The OM2, OM3 and OM4 are all the same size with additional features.

You might also want to review CameraQuest's Compact RF 35's if you haven't already.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Contax G series. They use Carl Zeiss T* lenses, have automatic or manual control for exposure, and the 45mm lens is f2.
    Paul, thanks for the recommendation. How's the AF on the G series cameras? This certainly has appeal as I hear that 45mm lens is quite sharp.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    And generally, a point and shoot isn't made to be serviced -- just replaced.
    Good point Mike. Maybe P&S is not what I really meant to write but small unobtrusive pocketable film camera.

George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin