Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,518   Online: 898

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best linear polarising filter for 55mm thread wide angle lens

Hi,

I'm using 55mm thread Minolta Rokkor lenses in front of my video camera - they are a 50mm 1.2, a 50mm 1.7 Macro and a 24mm 2.8. I am shooting a project outside on a sunny day and would like to use a polarising filter.

In the digital imaging age, there is plenty of information about circular polarising filters but not much on linear polarising filters. I need several well-built linear polarising filters that will not cause too much vignetting - especially a concern on the 24mm lens. The image will hopefully make it to cinema screens so minimising distortion is also a concern.

Any advice appreciated!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd recommend a Hoya filter, or Kenko if you're on a budget. I've been told that Kenkos are rebranded Hoyas but that the quality control on the Kenkos is not as thorough.

Check this: http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/hoya-li...er-filters.htm
    Last edited by dnjl; 01-11-2011 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding link

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're looking for the best I'd go with B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the crop factor with your video camera? That is, how big is the sensor compared to 35x24mm. Vignetting won't be a problem with a significant crop factor.
    Thin-mount polarisers are made, for the purpose of avoiding vignetting.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the responses.

lxdude, on my setup the crop factor is up to me. I can definitely zoom into the lens enough to lose the vignetting. At the moment this occurs at a point where my 24mm is more like a 30mm (this situation is the result of the adapter I must use to mount my lenses). Anyway, I am afraid that the polarizer will make this problem worse.

I'm having trouble finding a thin (for wide angle lenses) linear polarizer amongst those brands.

Here's what i've found:
    Cheap 2nd hand hoya -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-Brand-55mm-...#ht_1484wt_907
    Expensive new B&W -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-55mm-TOP-LIN...ht_2971wt_1141

I guess i'll go with the Hoya?

Images
    Why are you looking for a linear model? If your video camera is autofocus there is a good chance the linear polarizer will interfer with the autofocus. They reason for circular polarizers is because of autofocus and/or beam splitting for the meter. A circular polarizer will work just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go with B&W filters.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heliopan, their new Circular Pola filters take away only 1/2 f stop too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin View Post
    thanks for the responses.

lxdude, on my setup the crop factor is up to me. I can definitely zoom into the lens enough to lose the vignetting. At the moment this occurs at a point where my 24mm is more like a 30mm (this situation is the result of the adapter I must use to mount my lenses). Anyway, I am afraid that the polarizer will make this problem worse.
    So, when you said you are mounting it on the front of your camera you meant literally in front of the lens already on it? If so, then what r-brian said applies.

A thin mount polariser will reduce the chance of vignetting. Remember that with wide angle lenses the sky color can vary greatly from one side of the frame to the other when using a polariser.

BTW: 50mm 1.7 Macro?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Heliopan, their new Circular Pola filters take away only 1/2 f stop too!
    How can that be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin