Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,497   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The 35-105/3.5 constant-aperture lens is a real classic, and it's a good zoom range for event photography, where you're likely to be switching between single portraits and photographs of people in groups quickly and won't have time to change lenses, and if you're also using non-TTL auto flash, you'll get fairly consistent exposures. If you don't do that kind of photography, then sell it, and you can buy another nice FD lens. A lot of the top of the line FD lenses like the 50/1.2L or the 85/1.2L are real bargains, considering what they can do. I'm personally a fan of the 35/2.
    David's absolutely right. Although I've never used the 35-105/3.5, I'd trust anyone who's had experience with it, or comparable lenses. Personally, I don't use a zoom -- just don't have the need, for my purposes. I've been using the following FD lenses (they're the only ones I own) with great satisfaction with my F-1N: 35/2, 50/1.2L, and 100/2. They accommodate just about every situation encountered.

Good luck with your A-1 purchase, and have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks so much everyone for chiming in!

I do have one EOS film body left at present, it's a 630 which works alright for my intent. I do all of my event and professional work digitally now (I know.. I know..) but I refuse to totally let go of film because it's my background!

I don't see myself shooting events or anything that would require a zoom, that's left to my digital gear. So I think I'll go ahead and sell the 35-105 as well. Does seem like a nice lens though.

I know the 28 f/2.8 isn't the most highly regarded lens, but is there another prime option that isn't that costly?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 24/2.8 is in my opinion the best affordable all around FD wide angle, and they can be had pretty cheaply if you're patient.

Avoid the ones with the green circle instead of the green A at the auto position (the oldest breechlock ones) unless you can inspect it personally first, as I've seen a lot if those with element glue separation in the rear element.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never had a bad FD lens, all of them are good!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    ****I know the 28 f/2.8 isn't the most highly regarded lens, but is there another prime option that isn't that costly? ****

The fdn 28mm f2.8 is a very good lens, ok maybe not the best 28mm in the world but my copy has produced an excellent 16"X20" print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds good to me! Doesn't have to be the best, but just good enough

I listed all the extra stuff on eBay today so I'm going to be on the hunt for a FDn 50mm f/1.4, Unless anyone has a spare?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have a good kit, especialy if you combine it with the 50mm 1.4. I have used both (and still have) the 28mm 2.8 and 28mm 2, can't really see much, if any difference in image quality between the two. The 2.8 may seem a bit poverty pack, but all the examples I have used produce really sharp images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post

I listed all the extra stuff on eBay today so I'm going to be on the hunt for a FDn 50mm f/1.4, Unless anyone has a spare?
    I just purchased this lens and I don't know if it works. The blades don't move when adjusting aperture. Either on or off the camera. I tried the lens on a T50.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post

Another VG lens is the FDn 35mm f2.8, everybody raves about the f2 ver which is supposed (I don't own one) to be superior and the f2.8 is ignored and can be bought quite cheap. The only FD Canons that don't impress me are the FDn 200mm f4, the FDn70-210 f4 and the cheapy FDn 35-70mm kit lens....maybe I have bad copies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't that impressed with my 70-210 f/4 zoom either so I sold it.

I had a 28 f/2.8 but the 28 f/2 really is better for wide open work -- if you are always stopped down to f/8 or so then the f/2.8 version is fine.

Never owned the 35mm f/2.8 but the f/2 version really is that good, it deserves all the praise it gets.

24mm f/2 is another great one.

50 f/1.4 is still soft until you stop it down a fair bit. The f/1.8 is actually sharper in my experience though colder and without as much contrast or saturation.

200mm f/2.8 is very good. 300mm f/4L is good but really not that much better than the 300mm f/4 version.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin