Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,607   Online: 806

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    Well if you compared the Canon zoom lenses mentioned to equivalent Tamron SP or certain Kiron/Vivitar (esp series 1) zooms you might change your mind.
    I have owned for more than twenty years a Vivitar Series1 70-210 f3.5 zoom, the second version made by Tokina that's reputed to be one of the best.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    One reason I wasn't looking at the 100-300 was because it's a push pull zoom. Personally I'm not a big fan of lenses like that and I prefer the more modern design "2-touch" zoom lenses. (thus - my interest in the 85-300)
    Actually The first zoom lenses were two touch, its the push pull type that are the more recant.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-21-2011 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Oh whoops! My mistake. I just was never really a fan of the push pull design. I like having a ring for zooming, and for focusing.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Oh whoops! My mistake. I just was never really a fan of the push pull design. I like having a ring for zooming, and for focusing.
    I would prefer the two touch zooms too because it's too easy to turn your wrist with the push pull zooms and knock them out of focus while zooming if your not careful, but they are/ were the most produced type I would think
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    ****And yes - the cheap platic 35-70 that everyone dismisses is a surprisingly good lens - I used to use one as a macro lens when I was repairing cameras to photograph the insides of cameras ****

Well of course the cheap Canon kit lenses can take pictures, but to help the original poster out (or any one else) it's quite simple in that you want the best lens to do the job that you can afford, and some third party lenses are better than some Canon lenses for the same price or a few ££££s more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have owned for more than twenty years a Vivitar Series1 70-210 f3.5 zoom, the second version made by Tokina that's reputed to be one of the best.
    I'll swop you for my Canon 70-210 f4 then

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    I'll swop you for my Canon 70-210 f4 then
    No way, I prefer the Vivitar although it's much heavier
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think you can wrong with with the Kiron 28mm f/2.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Olives View Post
    I don't think you can wrong with with the Kiron 28mm f/2.

...but be careful of ones with oil on the blades, can be a problem with Kiron/Kiron made vivitar...... lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any thoughts on the FD Cosina 35-70mm (maybe it was 35-80mm) ?

Saw one not too pricey lately when I dropped a camera off for repair.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin