Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 805

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Trying to decide on FD Lenses

Hey guys!

I recently acquired an A-1 kit which came with lots of stuff overall. I'm only keeping some of it and the rest will be sold. What I'm trying to decide though, is what to keep, what to sell, and what (if anything) to buy.

Here's what I have right now:

2x A-1 bodies (one is getting sold to a friend for sure)
    Winder A2 (I actually like the way the Winder A looks better and I don't need the motor drive)
    2x 50mm f/1.8 (one's going with the camera being sold)
    28mm f/2.8
    100mm f/2.8
    35-105mm f/3.5
    60-120mm f/2.8 (Tokina)

I was planning on selling both zooms and the 50mm and buying a 50mm f/1.4 and calling it a day with the 28/50/100 kit.

I've heard good things about the 35-105 and I do like it, it's built really well, but it's pretty large and I'm just not sure if it's worth keeping for me.

However, as a side note. I am also a Digital Micro 4/3 user and all of these lenses can be easily adapted onto my camera which would be fun as well.

I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys, I know the L lenses are the ones to get, but I spend my money on the EF L lenses for my DSLRs, I just want decent lenses for the times I still want to shoot film.

Thanks!

- Abram
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well we're all different, but for years all I had or felt the need for was the 50mm 1.4 and the 35-105 f/3.5 macro and I would lean strongly toward keeping the latter. I later added the 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 which is cheap, light and compact; while a great walk-around/snapshot lens, it has considerably more distortion than the 35-105. I have a third party 35mm and a Canon 50mm 1.8 but those were inherited, along with an AE-1, and I don't really use them.

My 2 cents

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd shoot with them all before deciding.

You may find that the ergonomics suit you, or the bokeh appeals to you, or the colour rendition is attractive to you, ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 50mm f1.4 is a great lens and you should be able to find one on the cheap.

The 28mm and 100mm lenses are also excellent and will suit you well.

That will give you a great 3-lens kit.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone else share my opinion that they like the look of the Winder A better than that of the "newer" Winder A2?

Thank you for the advice thus-far. I haven't had a chance to shoot any film in the cameras yet because I didn't want to use them until I could replace the light seals and mirror baffle. Didn't want to risk damaging anything.

I don't think I'd really use the 60-120mm much because it's kind of an odd range for me. I can definitely see myself using the 100mm prime far more often.

I guess my only debate is wether to keep the 35-105 or not. It's a pretty big lens on the A-1 w/o the Winder attached. Kind of awkward to hold that way. Almost like my 5DmkII w/ 24-70mm f/2.8L and no battery grip. Very front heavy.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    2x A-1 bodies (one is getting sold to a friend for sure)
    Winder A2 (I actually like the way the Winder A looks better and I don't need the motor drive)
    2x 50mm f/1.8 (one's going with the camera being sold)
    28mm f/2.8
    100mm f/2.8
    35-105mm f/3.5
    60-120mm f/2.8 (Tokina)

I was planning on selling both zooms and the 50mm and buying a 50mm f/1.4 and calling it a day with the 28/50/100 kit.
    That is what I was going to suggest! I would sell both 50mm 1.8's, though, and get a 1.4.

I'd also suggest picking up an EOS film body. They are dirt cheap, and it would be a shame to let all that great EF glass be used only for digital. I got my EOS 3, which I consider to be one to the two best Canon AF bodies ever made, in near-new condition for under $200 shipped through these classifieds.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I got 50mm f1.4 from eBay for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    The 50mm f1.4 is a great lens and you should be able to find one on the cheap.

The 28mm and 100mm lenses are also excellent and will suit you well.

That will give you a great 3-lens kit.
    I love that lens. Nice Bokeh wide open. I wanted one 25 years ago, but can't afford it because it cost hundreds of dollars. But now it's a different story.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm also a fan of the 35-105, but as you say, it is a bit heavy.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would keep a zoom only if you shoot with one camera and are stuck in one place often. Otherwise, why use a heavier, larger, slower, and less technically sound lens?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 35-105/3.5 constant-aperture lens is a real classic, and it's a good zoom range for event photography, where you're likely to be switching between single portraits and photographs of people in groups quickly and won't have time to change lenses, and if you're also using non-TTL auto flash, you'll get fairly consistent exposures. If you don't do that kind of photography, then sell it, and you can buy another nice FD lens. A lot of the top of the line FD lenses like the 50/1.2L or the 85/1.2L are real bargains, considering what they can do. I'm personally a fan of the 35/2.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin