Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,714   Online: 758

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F4S and "P" screen, exposure compensation??

I managed to get the "P" screen for my Nikon F4 to handle manual focusing on my non-AF Nikkor AIS lenses.

Can anyone tell me if I need to adjust the exposure compensation dial to accommodate this new screen or will it be the same as my standard B screen??

Thanks
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exposure should still be exactly the same, I'd think, since the amount of light that hits the film hasn't changed.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    Paul, I consulted my F4 Focusing Screen Chart and see that comensation is not required for the P screen. Exceptions are the Reflex 500mm f8 (-1 comp) and Reflex 1000mm f11 (-1.5 comp).

Ottr, while some cameras have metering cells located in the bottom of the mirror box (Nikon F3, FE2, etc.) others, such as the F4, perform Center Weight and Matrix Metering via cells in the prism, after the light has passed through the screen. Various patterns/grids on screens may impact such metering, hence the Metering Compensation Dial on the DP-20 prism. The F4's Spot Metering, however, is performed by a cell in the bottom of the mirror box. Interesting that they chose to split the metering function.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    Paul, I consulted my F4 Focusing Screen Chart and see that comensation is not required for the P screen. Exceptions are the Reflex 500mm f8 (-1 comp) and Reflex 1000mm f11 (-1.5 comp).
    Much thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, splitting up the meter has save me once when the DP-20 went on the blink and shorted out, I could still meter using the spot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post

Ottr, while some cameras have metering cells located in the bottom of the mirror box (Nikon F3, FE2, etc.) others, such as the F4, perform Center Weight and Matrix Metering via cells in the prism, after the light has passed through the screen. Various patterns/grids on screens may impact such metering, hence the Metering Compensation Dial on the DP-20 prism. The F4's Spot Metering, however, is performed by a cell in the bottom of the mirror box. Interesting that they chose to split the metering function.
    FE2 is the same as the F4. As are all non-F3 Nikon manual focus bodies. Meter cells are in the finder.

The P screen needs no compensation in normal use, luckily.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin