Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,545   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which MF wide angle lens to buy? (From a newbie)

Hi all—I'm somewhat new to photography and definitely new to photography on a tight budget. I have a pretty modern camera, a Canon EOS 5, and I'm looking to buy a wide angle lens for it for under $700. I have no idea if this is feasible.

I know that it must fit or adapt to an EF mount, it must have great optics, and I hope for it to be somewhere between 16mm and 28mm.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I actually have a ton of questions for all of you guys, but I don't want to blow them all in one thread.

Thanks a lot,
    Blotner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug!

You don't mention which other lenses you have, which plays a role.

A good "first" wide is usally 28 or 24mm. Wider than 24mm is usally more difficult to use and has a more restricted use.

The (one? IMHO) good thing about EF mount is that with adaptors you can use almost every lens ever made for 35mm SLRs (losing autofocus).
    For less than $700 you can get some very good used ones indeed, especially if you're willing to forgo autofocus (not that useful with a wide anyway).
    Also your intended use will determine what "good" is: shooting architecture has very different needs compared to PJ.

What you can find cheaply also depends on where you are (in Europe you could even pick up some Leica or Zeiss lenses well within budget).

Re questions: Fire away!
    (Just remember that some of us don't think "modern" equates with "best").

Chris
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    For right now—can you suggest a fast, sharp 24mm with minimal vignetting? Also, a note: I will be in Berlin soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Zeiss ZE 25mm f/2.8 and the 28mm f/2.0 should both be excellent, are in EF mount, but are probably hard to find used and are probably overbudget new.

Adaptable lenses:
    The older 25mm for Y/C and Rolleiflex can be very variable: I heard they changed the scheme at one point, in any case I went through a very poor one and a poorish one before finding my current very good one.

The older 28mm f/2.0 is now mythical and probably hard to find. The Y/C 28mm f/2.8 is fairly common and a solid classic.

The Leica R 24mm isn't worth its price, though several of the 28mms are well worth having.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If 2.8 is fast enough for you (it is for me), then the EF 24/2.8 lens will easily fit your budget (you might even buy a 28 in addition). I'm very happy with it.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sigma Super Wide II 24mm 2.8

Consider Sigma's Super Wide II 24mm 2.8. It only works with film SLR's, so you can find it dirt cheap nowadays.

Very sharp and focuses down to 18 cms!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered using a manual Canon body?
    I just checked the local ads and you will get a AE-1 with a FD24/2.8 and a 35-105 zoom at about $200. It could be that a kit like this is cheaper than buying a lens and an adapter.
    FD lenses are good, cheap and plentiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If 2.8 is fast enough for you (it is for me), then the EF 24/2.8 lens will easily fit your budget (you might even buy a 28 in addition). I'm very happy with it.
    Though general consensus does say that it, like many other EF wides (there are a couple of exceptions of course), is not that good...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with the 24mm, myself.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    The Zeiss 25 looks amazing but costs 1800 new. The sigma and the canon 24/2.8 are generally reviewed as adequate, if that. Is there any specific in-between lens to recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin