Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 785

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are "Gelatin" Filters Really Gelatin?

I know that they were. But are they still made from fragile gelatin now? The gelatins I used before were superb but were easily damaged. Finger smudges can't be removed and extreme moisture made them "swell" (best description I can think of).
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Some are now made of acetate or polyester, but many of the wratten series are still made of gelatin.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert's missed the important part some are acetate or polyester with a gelatin coating others are coloured acetates.. Any that use gelatin need to be kept dry and are relatively fragile. Ilford's MG filters are gelatin coated.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some better filters used to be a sheet of gelatin sandwiched between 2 glass discs, thus (mostly) avoiding the cleanliness and delicacy problems.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hehe- reminds me of a trick used to play on new photo assistants at the end of a shoot: "Hey, takes these old gels and wash them off so we can reuse them. Remember hot water works best..."
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TSSPro View Post
    Hehe- reminds me of a trick used to play on new photo assistants at the end of a shoot: "Hey, takes these old gels and wash them off so we can reuse them. Remember hot water works best..."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin