Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,098   Online: 776

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon A1

Shooter
    35mm
    The 50mm is nice by all reviews. You got the better of the common options (others start f/1.8, as does mine). The Tamron has a number of good reviews online. I would say the 135mm prime is not too great. It's covered inside the range of the zoom, and for being a prime lens is somewhat slow (I've seen a number of 135mm primes at f/2.8 in my online readings).

I would, however, suggest something in the 28mm-35mm range as well. I was very hindered by indoors shots with my 50mm for many years when I started out. It was just too close to frame anything other than closeups. The wide lets you stand closer and frame what you like much better.

EDIT: Whoops, I see you have the SSC 50mm. Definitely a keeper, from what I've read!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Mark.

Thank you for your contribution.

I am kinda starting from scratch with film photography and the A1 was my camera of choice. I am happy with my purchase and I have booked the camera in for a CLA..gives me some peace of mind for a few more years... and that is providing I stick with film. I will continue to use my Canon 40D with all its goodies Canon 70-200 IS/USM f2.8 / Canon 50mm f1.4 / Tokina ATX 16-50 f2.8 / Tokina 12-24 f4

What is your point about the SSC 50mm lens I got with with the A1..

Regards
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul : I was GIVEN an A1 a few years ago from a gent in Romford whose Brother had died-- it came with the 50mm f1.8 FD lens, a 28mm f2.8 Canon FD and the 75-150mm f4.5 Canon FD zoom + other things -- it HAS the 'Canon Squeak' -- I was interested to read that it is NOT the shutter after all ! I also have an FTbn 1978 with that SSC 50mm f1.4 and SSC stands for 'Super Spectra Coated' and it has the Canon 'Breachlock' fitting with a ring that turns -- the later FD fitting just bayonets onto the lens mount -- that F1.4 is SHARP OK at full aperture.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the old 50 1.4 also, darn good lens!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eskerman View Post
    Hi Mark.

What is your point about the SSC 50mm lens I got with with the A1..
    Simply that it is a good lens, worth keeping! The SSC coatings on the lense reduce glare and reflections, supposedly creating a very crisp and sharp image.

Sometimes when somebody buys a kit like this, they will be mostly interested in the body (the camera itself). Sometimes they will keep the good parts of the kit and build their own kit over time.

They sometimes get rid of the parts of the kit that aren't as useful, or aren't as good.

For example: If you got an A-1 really cheap with a poor quality lens, you might sell the lens and put a good one on it.

If you were to consider this course of action, I would suggest you keep the 50mm. The Tamron is also good to keep. However, if you wanted to, I would say the 135mm is not that great compared to what you already have.

That is all I meant.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    This guy cured my Canon of its cough: http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/
    Also replaced seals and CLA'd for about £40. The A-1 was bought with five lenses including the FD 1.4 which is possibly the nicest lens I've owned on any camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your contribution. I was talking to Miles today and my A1 is winging its way across the Irish sea to him for a full service.

Nice guy and with 30 years experience in the business, he seems to be a good choice, plus he offers a 6 month warranty on all repairs.

I think its worth getting the camera serviced, and i guess its its first service from the time it was new...

Regards
    Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin