Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,006   Online: 762

Shooter
    Multi Format

Infrared film and Canon EOS 7NE

Hi,

I know there's a warning about using high speed infrared film in the Canon EOS Elan 7NE (I think I read it's the film counter or something).

I was wondering though if anyone has tried Efke IR820 in one to see what actually happens. It's not exactly high speed as I've shot it in other cameras at ISO 6 or 25 (820 refers to the nanometer wavelenght that it's sensitive to, not the film speed)

Also is there a way to disable that little IR lamp that's causing the trouble? What would happen?

Thanks,

Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To my knowledge, it's not only the frame counter that causes problems (fogging IR film), but also the film pressure plate. Have a look here:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/#pressure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a fantastic link. Thank you Walter. He stresses that it's only about Kodak HIE which was sensitive at 900nm, vs 820 for the Efke. I think I'll just need to do some experimentation to see how/if the Efke is affected. The article was encouraging though in talking about how bad it is even when the fogging happens (sometimes just along the sprockets).

Shooter
    35mm
    My EOS 50e (Elan IIe) never fogged any Rollei IR-400 (that goes to about 820, if I remember correctly). Only very slight darkening right around the sprocket holes, but that could have been a developement error as well.

And no, there is no way to disable the little IR-lamp, as it's the cameras way to count the sprocket holes until the next frame. If you'd put a piece of tape over it, the camera would either respond with some obscure error code or by spooling the whole film at once without ever stopping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this same dilema when I first started shooting IR film. I just opted to using my oldest EOS camera, a 630, because it has a mechanical counter.
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin