Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,214   Posts: 1,659,480   Online: 876

Shooter
    Multi Format

What are the serial numbers of fixed OM-4 models?

Hello,

I am looking out for a Olympus OM-4 or OM-4ti camera to complement my OM-2sp camera. I already know that early versions of the OM-4 have battery draining issues. On several internet boards I also read that Olympus changed the circuit board of the OM-4 to fix this issue. The new OM-4 circuit board is supposed to be the same as the one used in the OM-4ti. The only information that is missing is the serial number range of OM-4 models with the fixed circuit board. Does anybody have some insight in this issue?

Thank you very much for reading.

All the best,
    Marcel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest contacting John Hermanson at Camtech:

http://zuiko.com/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Play safe, go for the OM4Ti, after all, it's only money.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Some early OM-4 cameras will have been retrofitted with the later circuit and the serial numbering is a bit opaque with OM cameras so it's not a simple matter of tracking down one with an appropriate serial number. The best advice is to ask the vendor which circuit the camera has - if they don't know, ask them to switch the battery check switch on and see when it stops beeping. If it continues for more than a minute, it is the older circuit. The OM-4 with a later circuit is a perfectly good camera with a better winder feel (to my mind) and with paint which stays better attached than the ti model while being only marginally heavier. They are also cheaper to buy. The only real downside is that the camera will be older. I have a ti and am perfectly happy with it but I would be equally happy with a late circuit OM-4. Hope this helps.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought mine in 1985, SN:1040303. Never had a problem with the circuitry or battery drain.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    There were no OM-4s made with the low drain circuit boards. All low drain circuits got there because the cameras were serviced by Olympus at some point and Olympus installed the low drain board. ALL 4t/Ti have the last/latest lowest drain board available. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I sent my OM-4 in for service would you be able to update the circuit board to the 4ti type(it needs a CLA anyway)?
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    There were no OM-4s made with the low drain circuit boards.
    OK, thank you for the update. The OM-4 is off my list, I am looking out for a OM-4TI.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, when 4T circuits were available,the part would cost you about $300. THEN add labor to do the repair, another $300. If you want lowest drain and 4T features, you should look for a used 4T/Ti. I'd be happy to overhaul your 4, but whatever drain it has will remain. John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin