Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,672   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds very fair. Good luck and enjoy!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I just found this discussion. None of these folks seem to think that bubbles are a good sign...

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0008vW

Hmm...I am disappointed again...
    Hmm, I seem to remember (I no longer own this camera) that my old Minolta SR2 with an MC Rokkor 2/50 (or 55) Auto lens had a small bubble or two (big enough to see with the naked eye). I remember being told it was of no importance and, in those pre-pixel peeping days (with smallish prints), I never ever did feel it gave me any problems and people complimented me on the quality of the images.

What did cause trouble, however, was the way the diaphragm blades had a habit of "sticking" (failing to stop down to the required aperture) and needing to be serviced every few years, a thorough nuisance: hence why I no longer own the thing. A characteristic which has made me wary of Minolta/Rokkor lenses ever since (although I still do own some Minolta gear even now).

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting comments, Galah...my lens has a whole lot more than one or two spots or bubbles.

With regard to the reliability of Minolta lenses, your comments give me concern. I usually have cameras (and sometimes lenses) CLAed before use. It would be annoying, however, to have to do this every few years. I would hope to get at least five years out of an overhaul.

The 58/1.4, and its cousin, the 55/1.7, are now on their way to my repairman. I sent the 55/1.7 because it, too, seemed to have the dots, though not as many. I should have some news within a few days. I checked most of my other lenses, both Minolta and Nikon, and did not notice any dots. After looking at it so many times, I would have to say at this point that it has the appearance of condensation or perhaps oil droplets.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-02-2011 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin