Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,453   Online: 1163

Shooter
    35mm

Can a User Manual Be Wrong?

The user manual for my Minolta XE-7 explains that, when using an Auto Rokkor lens, the lens should be kept in the stopped-down mode when the shutter is released. I have tested my Auto Rokkor 100/3.5, and the diaphragm clearly stops down automatically at the time of exposure. I tested it at slower speeds, 1/8 and 1/4, so that I would be able to identify the action of the diaphragm. I also used a smaller aperture, f/11, I believe. I would think the authors and/or technicians would have tested this. Perhaps my lens is a later "Auto" version that, with the XE-7, does not require stopping down at the time of exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they can be wrong, they are talking about the pre Auto Rokkor lenses.

A classic is a 1940 Kodak catalogue explaining how a shutter they sold works, they describe how the width of the shutter slit between two curtains is altered to change shutter speed, in fact the particular shutter has a single s fixed width curtain and only the tension is altered.

Catalogues, Manuals etc were often written by junior back room staff who didn't have a full knowledge of the products.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the manual was probably translated from the original Japanese by a technical translator who isn't a photographer I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was wrong.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Human error doth occur from time to time.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You just have to experimite!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Human error doth occur from time to time.
    To err is human. To really eff things up requires a computer
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin