Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,182   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Opinions on Canon FL 35mm f/2.5

Hi y'all.

I've been lusting after an FD 35mm f/2 for some time now, but honestly I don't think I can afford it anytime soon. Too many other things in the meantime.

Anyways, the FL 35mm 2.5 seems like a good compromise; half a stop faster than the FD 2.8 and probably can be had for cheap.

The main consideration I guess is whether or not half a stop is worth it, and if I should just get an FD 35mm f/2.8. I haven't checked those prices yet.

But, if you've got examples or opinions... be my guest!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you okay with stop down metering?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, generally speaking. It's more convenient on my AE-1 than my EF, but I can deal.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a nice lens. In general, I usually prefer FLs over FDs. Indeed, the FDs have better coatings, but I like being able to stop down manually. This takes a tad of vibration out, and it is sometimes noticeable. The FLs are also beautifully built, and, in most cases, may be had for pennies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that they are beautifully built. Those that prefer chrome-FD over FDn lenses, will probably appreciate FL's even better yet.

I had the 55mm f/1.2 which was a silly thing to sell, but I opted for the FD 1.4 and its coating. Honestly though, the FL's have an interesting look to them that is a little less contrasty, less saturated, but beautifully clear. They can be just as sharp too.

I think I'll see what the 2.5 FL's are going for as compared to the 2.8 FD and make a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one myself, don't use it much but a great lens none the less. BTW if you want mine I'll send to you free.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kubach; 03-01-2011 at 10:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Say what! PM on its way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never done this before I'm a analog guy in a digital world, so bear with me! I can send the send lens out today (March 2). Just tell what you need! Cell phone (804 370 9724).

Jeff

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Lol the kindness of strangers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff, I've got your number and I'm giving you a call... but you might wanna remove it from the thread just for your own privacy. I private messaged you as well, but that's ok... we'll keep this analog. hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin