Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon A-1 Shutter Release

I have menioned this matter before here, but I do not believe I have ever asked for specific opinions or experiences. I have owned two A-1s, and both had the same type of shutter lease--one I did not like. I parted with both cameras. The release seemed to induce camera shake, as I would have to press more firmly and awkwardly than with other releases. Otherwise, I find the A-1 an excellent body. Is this aspect of the shutter release the norm for the A-1, or did I have two cameras that had some type of defect? I believe my AE-1P also had this type of awkward release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an A-1 also but with the motor drive. I never had that problem you mention. I geuss you could use a cable release.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my A1 second-hand about twenty four years ago, and have never experienced or indeed noticed the problems you describe the A1's electro-mechanical shutter release has always worked faultlessly.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The A-series did always seem to me to have a fairly strong spring on the shutter release button, which could be what you're feeling. I prefer real mechanical shutter releases of course like the original F-1, but the F-1N (latest version) has a very nice feel to it also.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Duncan: I think you understand. It is a very awkward release. I usually use a cable release, but I sometimes use the button, and would like a better feel.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't shot with the A-1 yet (my used one won't trip the shutter -- took it in for a checkup today) but I have played with it for a couple nights.

I can say the shutter release is more awkward than my AE-1P. The AE-1 is lower, more flush, more intuitive. By comparison the A-1 seems sitting higher, more protruding, requiring a different finger angle to reach up and over then press down (rather than lie flat and press down, as with my AE-1P).

I don't think the shutter itself is the issue so much as the awkward placing of it. Adding that mode switch around it didn't help any!

I would think those raised buttons would be easier to press, but harder to reach up towards with your finger. They would take the awkwardness to a new height (pun intended) when trying to flex the finger downwards to depress it.

Try different hand grips. Try different finger placements. Maybe wrap the hand more around the front and reach the button from another angle? Experiment with the ergomonics of it.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are mechanically inclined....

Somebody once rigged their AE-1 (or was it an AE-1P?) with a secondary shutter release. Turns out the shutter just bridges 2 electrical connectors, so he spliced those with wires to another switch somewhere else.

Theoretically you could just graft a new shutter on somewhere (the front maybe?) and wire it in....
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You might also try one of the motors with a switch on the hand grip, to see if you like the feel of that any better.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    I think those run rather pricey. The lesser Power Winder A and A2 don't have the switch and rely on the on-camera shutter. the big one that does 5 fps probably runs $100 or more. Maybe you can find one cheap on ebay?
    -Markster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin