Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 913

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My next lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    While I do primarily LF these days, I also have an N80. If you are going to do a lot of backpacking and hiking, I would suggest something more along the lines of an ultra-wide angle lens or zoom. I have a Sigma 17-35 which I have found to be a great lens (I use it for > 90% of 35mm stuff). The lens is very sharp. You just need to be careful of the large filter size - 82mm.
    The new EX HSM version of this lens uses a 77mm filter size. I've used it on my trip to Africa and I'm very pleased with the results with a F75 and standard ISO200 Fuji Superia film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eheldreth
    I have never used anything lower than a 1.8 and I'm curious, how much of a diffrence is there between 1.8 and 1.4.
    Less than a stop and, in my opinion, nowhere near enough to justify the price difference. Also, some lens tests have put the f1.8 as sharper than the f1.4 (although you'd need keen eyes to spot it).

I agonised over the same thing a couple of years ago, went with f1.8 and it hasn't disappointed me. Maybe consider putting the surplus into a set of extension tubes for close-up work (no additional glass to interfere with your existing optics, there's a 3rd-party manufacturer that does them with AF so your N80 will still TTL meter through them) or look at chopping in the 28-80 for a 28-105 (better optics, useful range and a semi-macro facility).

You might also want to ask around here http://www.nikonians.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Less than a stop and, in my opinion, nowhere near enough to justify the price difference. Also, some lens tests have put the f1.8 as sharper than the f1.4 (although you'd need keen eyes to spot it).

I agonised over the same thing a couple of years ago, went with f1.8 and it hasn't disappointed me. Maybe consider putting the surplus into a set of extension tubes for close-up work (no additional glass to interfere with your existing optics, there's a 3rd-party manufacturer that does them with AF so your N80 will still TTL meter through them) or look at chopping in the 28-80 for a 28-105 (better optics, useful range and a semi-macro facility).

You might also want to ask around here http://www.nikonians.org
    Thanks FrankB
    I think I'll go with the 24mm, I like the idea of having something a little wider than my 28-80 and a couple primes.

As for the extension tubes. I have looked at them(I believe they where from kenko and they did support AF) but wondered if the added weight could harm the camera.

Images
    You will not be disappointed with your 24mm. I really liked mine until murphy had his way with it. You should have some money left over for film too. The weight of the extension tubes will not be a bother since you will not have them on all the time. When you buy them make sure they mount and work on the camera. In other words buy from a reputable source. I still have a set that are not for nikon mount no matter what the A***oles at cambridge camera said after I sent them back to them for the third time, even the box said Pentax.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin