Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,882   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'd be more worried about the lenses. Pad the heck out of them as listed above. The camera? Probably could take that for 100 years without blinking from the reputation it has.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    That's a mighty big tank bag!
    There are various sizes of Pelican or similar cases...I should have been more clear and said any pack anywhere. I guess a back seat offers a similar amount of vibration as a tank!

The F5 certainly does live up to its lineage far as durability and trustworthiness goes, that's for sure.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera will fare just fine if it holds up as well as mine have- I have abused them to no end. Much film and much abuse have been issued to this camera and it has never stopped working, or given the least bit of issues. Mud, sand, grit, fine dust and being attached to various climbing harnesses (Warning carabiners will break the LCD on the back :-P)

I have even seen some one hammer in a decking nail into a 6x6" piece of lumber with an F5 before- impressive to say the least.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Consider the F90X/N90X if you don't need the extra features of the F5. They're also very tough, but they're much cheaper so if you trash one its not going to belt your wallet so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bet the F5 will hold up perfectly!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How tough is the F5? Consider the F5 will be your best bet.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IIRC there is a story about Bjorn Rorslett, who used F5’s for many years, about breaking through the ice and getting caught under it. The only thing he had was his F5 which he proceeded to use to break though the ice and escape. I believe the camera survived the event just fine. Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to the story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Consider the F90X/N90X if you don't need the extra features of the F5. They're also very tough, but they're much cheaper so if you trash one its not going to belt your wallet so much.
    Might not be a bad idea actually. I've never handled an N90 but it looks like it might be worth a try for this use. Its smaller so setting up my tank bag will be easier and it certainly is cheaper. Bargain grade from KEH at $25 is hard to beat. Coupled with a cheap Tamron lens and I could have a good setup for on the bike for a good deal less than $100...hmm...
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    how about wearing the F5 in a camera back-pack. that's what i do when i do not carry a passenger. you will then have a great portable set-up for your gear when you arrive at your destination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phirehouse View Post
    how about wearing the F5 in a camera back-pack. that's what i do when i do not carry a passenger. you will then have a great portable set-up for your gear when you arrive at your destination.
    I could, and I do have a Camelbak I wear for water (which sometimes also carries the recorder for my VIO helmet cam) but I try to keep things off my back. In the event of a fall hard things on the body can lead to some serious injury. I killed a Ricoh P&S once and it did its best to hurt me too. That was a great little camera, sharp, excellent colors, a nice little lens on it. In the end it broke a couple of my ribs..
    I'm hoping that if I fall the water in the Camelbak will help protect my back (along with a good back protector). The F5 though, or an N90 as I'm starting to like that option too, is just more than I want back there. Also, many shots are grabbed in a hurry and I'm liking the tank bag idea for its ease of access.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin