Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,620   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

So just how tough is a Nikon F5?

I have a new to me F5 that I'd like to use when out on a motorcycle and I'm concerned about durability issues. I'm thinking of getting a Pelican case of the right size and bolting it to the bikes luggage rack. I'd use fitted foam on the inside to carry the camera a lens or two and a SB-28 flash. I'm concerned about vibration, not just engine vibs but also all the bumping and banging from riding off road. The bike is a KTM 950 Adventure which is a large dual sport, for on and off road, and much, most really of my riding with the camera will be off road. Anybody have any experience beating on an F5 in this manner? I know its supposed to be tough but just how tough?
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An F5 will certainly fare better than most cameras in this situation, but I've never subjected my F5 to such conditions.

My instinct would be to carry a mechanical body like an F2A/F2AS, personally - that way you don't have to worry about electronics. You do lose some convenience, though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
    I have a new to me F5 that I'd like to use when out on a motorcycle and I'm concerned about durability issues. I'm thinking of getting a Pelican case of the right size and bolting it to the bikes luggage rack. I'd use fitted foam on the inside to carry the camera a lens or two and a SB-28 flash. I'm concerned about vibration, not just engine vibs but also all the bumping and banging from riding off road. The bike is a KTM 950 Adventure which is a large dual sport, for on and off road, and much, most really of my riding with the camera will be off road. Anybody have any experience beating on an F5 in this manner? I know its supposed to be tough but just how tough?
    It's an F series camera, always over-engineered and way tougher than anything else in the line. Always baffled by the abiding suspicion that an elderly mechanical camera would outlast a newer electronic model, especially one as nearly bomb-proof as an F5. I've beat the living crap out of several lesser N90s bodies that never so much as blinked. Provided your F5 is tight and snug in its case, there shouldn't be any problems. For me--and despite the F6--the F5 really was the last of the pro Nikon film bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider putting it in a tank bag on top of some foam. Besides being more accessible, it will take less direct vertical jarring being away from the same vertical plane as either axle.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Consider putting it in a tank bag on top of some foam. Besides being more accessible, it will take less direct vertical jarring being away from the same vertical plane as either axle.
    Excellent point lxdude, something I should have thought of myself. Not sure my tank bag is bag enough but I can certainly try it. If it will fit I can just cut a chunk of foam to fit and turn the tank bag into a fitted camera bag.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    An F5 will certainly fare better than most cameras in this situation, but I've never subjected my F5 to such conditions.

My instinct would be to carry a mechanical body like an F2A/F2AS, personally - that way you don't have to worry about electronics. You do lose some convenience, though.
    I do have an F2, and I also thought about my early Canon F1 but I value those more due to their age. I also want the speed of the F5 as many of my photos will be of fast moving bikes. I guess I shouldn't be to concerned really as F5s are pretty easy to find but it could get expensive if I have to keep replacing the things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    +1 as well.

Tank bag, foam, then Pelican case..THEN the foam inside.

You should be fine unless you're jumping Snake River canyon or something.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    +1 as well.

Why would anyone want to jump the Snake River Canyon ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    +1 as well.

That's a mighty big tank bag!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Why would anyone want to jump the Snake River Canyon ?
    Because they're Evel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin