Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,067   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Repair my T90 or switch to 1n/1v?

I'm having a debate on wether to repair my T90 or unload my FD gear and pickup a 1n or possibly a 1v. I really do like the T90, but I admittedly do have a good deal of L lenses in the EF mount.

I presently have the T90 and an A-1, but I preferred working with the T90 over the A-1. It just felt much more comfortable to me. I am selling one of the A-1s tomorrow and then the second one is also up for sale.

Here's what I have right now.

The T90 (and 300TL flash) w/ 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8, 200mm f/2.8 (though a bit rough), 35-105mm f/3.5 and I was about to buy a 35mm f/2 and a 85-300mm f/4.5 (and probably sell the 200 in the process)

For EF I have the 630 body for film but I'm not particularly attached to it and a 5DmkII + 1DmkIII. I have a whole bunch of good glass for the EF mount as well, all Canon: 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L.

Now part of the reason I was investing in some FD gear was also because I have a micro 4/3 system, and I was hoping to get the GH2 in the near future. I wanted to adapt all of these lenses onto the GH2 for video work as the EF lenses aren't the best because there's no aperture control when off the camera.

So im curious what you guys think would be better in my case. I don't particularly need a high speed AF camera for film anymore, but the durability of an EOS 1 is hard to say no to .
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course you can go to KEH and see how much the T90 is.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If I am not wrong T90 is Luigi Colani design when he was in Japan for 10 years did for them. Colani is may be the number one designer in 20th century and You have one of his designs.
    Google him , see his aircrafts , trains , trucks and you will have a cultural shock.
    If you are selling all of your cameras , why not try a German camera ? Even a good working Russian , Ukranian camera or bigger format one do the job.
    I dont like Japanese cameras and EOS lenses are sometimes good , sometimes very strange , not much different than Nikon.
    look at keh.com and you will find many alternatives.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow the T90s go for quite a bit on KEH. I'm aware of it's heritage and as I mentioned im quite fond of it. I just wasn't sure if it was worth repairing or replacing.

I think I'll just go ahead and repair it
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Maybe this is off topic here, but I've read that there is a new adapter that have aperture control for EF lens to be used on m43 bodies. I think it's kiron or something. You might want to check www.43rumors.com for details.
    Very sorry if this violates the forum, just want to share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I am aware of it, but the mechanical one has a secondary aperture so it's not true control. Also, there is an electronic adapter coming out but to the tune of $700+
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blame my ignorance then, only read the announcement in passing.
    I used an EOS 3, and having handled both the 1v and 5D, the 5D is much closer to the 3 in my opinion, the 1v is way up the league.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a problem, I appreciate the gesture all the same

I used to shoot with 2 EOS 3 bodies when I regularly shot film. It was a great camera in its own right, but if I'm going to buy a higher end Canon EOS body I want a 1. I'm spoiled by my 1DmkIII and it's tank-like build.

I think I'm just going to keep the T90 and have it fixed. It's kind of a special camera really. Plus I'm really enjoying all this FD glass, it's so much more compact than my EF lenses!
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've owned a T90 (technically I still own it, but it does not fire anymore ) and I an EOS3 (still own it, and it DOES fire).

The EOS3 is a very nice camera (I'm using it with the PBE2 booster) but, IMHO, does not deliver anything (except of course AF) that the T90 did not. Of course, this depends on your usage, but both the metering, motor-drive, exposure modes of the T90 were on par with the EOS, at least for me (I'm using 95% spot metering and manual mode).

I sent the T90 for an estimate, as I might the bullet and get it fixed for when I need a compact camera (amazing to note that the T90 was a "big" camera some years ago, and is now closer to a "compact" one)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd just repair the T90 and get back to business as usual.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin