Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,371   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta spot meter F

Any one still use one of these? From what I have been able to read it seems like a good reliable meter. What is a reasonable price for one these days? The auction prices are all over the map.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the M version which is close but lacking the Flash metering capability.
    Reliable and a fine meter. I could use one a bit more sensitive in low light but appart from that is happy with the meter.
    Don't know what the price should be but would not pay more than 200$ for a used F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Superb meter, precisely what product photographers need to use when shooting for photos which will be printed in brochures etc. (due to more limited dynamic range of the offset print)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like it and use it whenever I'm interested in 1/10 stop accuracy, otherwise, I'll use the Pentax Digital Spotmeter, which I prefer for Zone System work.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an F, which is worth the extra price over the M for a couple reasons:

- it takes a AA battery instead of the very expensive and hard-to-find silver oxide battery
    - it has an off-on switch - the M puts itself to sleep when the lens cap is on, and it can develop a short that will mean it never really turns off, and so the silver oxide battery lasts two months instead of two or three years.
    - it can meter flash as well as incident.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, my M meter does have the on/off switch and it takes AA Battery so there must be more than one M model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got mine used, heavily worn and missing various bits of plastic here & there, but works reliably and well.

The various "calculation" modes don't seem especially useful (just as easy to combine various measurements in one's head), but otherwise I can't find fault with it.
    Accurate, well designed and nice to use.
    (Paid €80, in admittedly poor condition).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There must be an early/late variation. So the caveat should be, look for one that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one, it's an excellent meter in terms of accuracy, but they aren't intuitive. The on/off switch is poor, it's a bit of a botched design concept in the way it can function. I guess it's like many auto cameras it tries to do to much.

Ralph's implied what I posted 2 or 3 days ago elsewhere that the Pentax meters are easier to use, I also have a Spot V as well as a Soligor/Capital II, and while the Minolta's very accurate the controls are fiddly and fussy, certainly not designed by a photographer .

The photographer I bought my Minolta Spotmeter F from actually replaced it with a Digital Pentax spotmeter.

All give the same exposures, but the simpler meters are far easier and faster to use,

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine has worked flawlessly for years and years, just keep a fresh AA in it. I do like the ability to read and register the shadow and highlight readings thereby showing the range of what you metered. Of course you can do this mentally with the Pentax which is also a great meter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin