Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Watch Your Camera Strap!

I have completely fallen in love with my pentax lx! It's the perfect size and has the right amount of features. If I had to live with one camera, it would be the lx.
    So after constantly using mine for over a year, I thought I'd treat it to a CLA. Two weeks and $175 later, I went to pick it up. It looked great with new seals, an adjusted mirror, and zero specks of dust.
    Twenty minutes later, the strap broke. It fell on the hard floor. Now it fails to fire, with the mirror stuck in the up position. I believe this problem is much worse then the famous "sticky-mirror".
    So! Does anyone know of a camera repair place that specializes in the lx? In it's current condition, I think it may be a little too broken to send to a general repair place. I love this camera and I don't want to have to let it go!

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that hurts badly. Don't know of any repair shop for 35mm cameras but i hope you cen get it repaired and continue to use it for many years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pro Camera Inc
    618 Forest Street # B
    Charlottesville, VA
    Phone: (434) 979-1915

This guy is great, and very reasonable in price. CLA My Nikon F2 and fixed the meter for $90.00. Also very well versed in multiple types of equipment. Pro level and experienced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you thought about buying another used one, from KEH, etc.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This person seems to specialize in Pentax:

http://www.pentaxs.com/

I might try contacting Pentax Canada to determine if:
    1) they still repair LXs (their website indicates they do) or
    2) who they might recommend.

I note that VanCam in Vancouver is an authorized Pentax warranty and non-warranty repair depot for Pentax 35mm cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This person seems to specialize in Pentax:

http://www.pentaxs.com/
    (To the OP) I've never used his services but I've seen a lot of good comments about the pentaxs.com guy--you might also try pentaxforums.com for suggestions. There's also an APUG user whose profile photo is a shot of an LX, but I can't recall the name offhand--he can probably point you toward a good repair resource.

Funny how we can spend so much time worrying about the mechanical condition of our cameras and never think twice about the straps having issues.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was out in the wildlife preserve here I almost lost a dslr when my strap broke over a railroad bridge, caught it just in time.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AAAaaaaaaaaarrrggghhwimper-wimper
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cfclark View Post
    (To the OP) I've never used his services but I've seen a lot of good comments about the pentaxs.com guy--you might also try pentaxforums.com for suggestions.
    The pentaxs.com guy-Eric Hendrickson-has a very good reputation. He likes to make sure things are done right. He has done some great work for me. His prices are reasonable.
    BTW-he is also happy to take donations of Pentax stuff which you don't want, which he can use for parts. I've tossed a few things in the box for him to keep-stuff which I didn't need (I have more than enough 50mm f/2's, for instance) or were for cameras I don't have. I figure he does his best to take care of us, so I'll do what I can in return.

There's also an APUG user whose profile photo is a shot of an LX, but I can't recall the name offhand--he can probably point you toward a good repair resource.
    I don't know if you mean me, but I guess I'll do in a pinch, anyway.

happyjam64-
    did the strap just break, or did something else happen? The LX straps are pretty strong. Did one of the swivel lugs come off its attachment post, or did the strap come off the swivel? I'd make sure that problem gets solved first and foremost. It's possible the technician did not secure one of the swivel lugs onto the camera body by sliding the lock into place after reattaching it.

For now, take out the batteries. Leave them out while sending the camera for repair, in case of an intermittent dead short. I suggest sending a fresh set of batteries, still in their pack, with it. Remove the lens, if any, set the shutter to a high speed, which will be mechanical, and see if the mirror will drop. Though the camera should go in for a thorough checking regardless, restoring some function if possible could make you feel a little better, and if there is no improvement, you have a little better idea what you're up against. If a lens was on it, I'd send the lens to be checked, too.
    Last edited by lxdude; 03-11-2011 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    AAAaaaaaaaaarrrggghhwimper-wimper
    My sentiments exactly.

Unless you meant j-dogg's comment. He said dslr. NBD, then. Long as it's insured.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin