Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,630   Posts: 1,647,987   Online: 996

Shooter
    Large Format

Minolta Dark Focusing Circle

I've been having a problem where when using high powered lenses on my Minolta XE-7, such as a 400mm, 500mm, and 1000mm, the focusing circle in the middle turns black on the top or on the bottom or sometimes both. Does anyone have any information on if this would be a camera problem or I'm figuring it's more likely something to do with the lenses. I don't have the problem when using lower power lenses such as a 28mm or 50mm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It’s perfectly normal for the central split-image rangefinder to go dark with lenses of f/5.6 and slower on most SLRs. The slower the lens the worse the effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you move your eye about in the viewfinder it dissipaters, as the previous poster says it's because it's a small aperture for the focal length.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear it's not a specific problem with my camera or lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's why there are changeable focus screens for some cameras... if you shoot a lot with those lenses and it's available for this Minolta swap it out for one without split image. I wish they would put split image screens in these new "digicams"... sorry bad work here.

Shooter
    35mm
    You might consider other Minolta bodies with changeable focusing screens like the XK or the X-700. I'm only familiar with these two but there might be others.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin