Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,461   Online: 960

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon FD Lens Hoods - Useful?

Hi everyone,

I've always been a believer and user of lens hoods in general and almost always prefer to have them on my lenses. All of my EF lenses have them and are always on during use (except when using filters)

I've been looking to get the appropriate hoods for my FD lenses, and I've found them all, but there's one in particular that I'm hesitant to buy.

The hood for the FD 35-105 f/3.5 doesn't look terribly useful, can anyone confirm this or not? It also happens to be the most expensive one out of the ones I need, and really the only reason I could see to definitely get it would be for resale value as I understand it's quite rare to have the matching OEM hood for this lens.

If my lens was in mint condition I'd probably just go ahead and get it, but there are a couple small scratches on the front element which would drive away collectors.

I like the lens a lot and I intend to use it on my T90, but possibly not as much as my primes.

So what I'm ultimately asking is if it's worthwhile to track down the hoods for all of my lenses. Opinions welcome
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lens hoods on zoom lenses especially wide angle to telephoto zooms are essentially by nature a compromise because what would be an effective hood at 105mm would vignette at 35mm, I bought one of these for my FD 35-105 f3.5 zoom http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Screw--Ru...567&sr=8-10and because it's collapsible it can be adjusted to suite the focal length in use, I do have the Canon FD hood for the lens, but never use it.

Please note- Agphotography the lens takes 72mm hoods not 77mm as illustrated

It is worthwhile to track down the Canon hoods for your lenses because they are designed with the angle of view of the lens they were intended for in mind, and because the FD hoods are bayonet fitting on the outside of the lens filters can be used with them with less risk of vignetting.although they are becoming quite rare these days I have all the correct hoods for my FD lenses, and can use them with the lenses with confidence.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-14-2011 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fair enough.

Thanks for your insights Ben
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    Fair enough.

Thanks for your insights Ben
    No sweat

Best wishes ,
    Ben
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin