Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 986

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Which Leica Mini have German made lens ?

I discovered Leica Minis not long ago and Elmar one is a rebranded Japanese camera. Is this cameras lens a basic tessar or a Leica calculated real Elmar ?

Which Leica Mini have a Leica made lens ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, no direct answer, but...

Maybe the question should be simply: how good is the lens?

I have a Singapore made Zeiss lens which is better than all the made in Germany samples I tried before,
    Also, Leica lenses made in Canada are certainly as good as those made in Germany (of the same formula and generation).

Probably Leica itself never made any of the P&S lenses, though some may be very good (my own experience with di**tal Leica branded lenses, which probably have no direct conncetion to Leica at all, other than probably having to meet minmum requirements).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Canadian made Leica lenses are the most polite.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rol_Lei Nut ;

I think Your singapore Zeiss lens is Rollei 35 Sonnar. I have one and it is sensitive to minimum light change.
    My sensor is not working and it is extremelly difficult to get correct color print. I used 5 Leicas , all Wetzlar made and they were far faraway easier to use. I didnt any bad pictures in 36 never. Every photograph was art piece , color or bw. Its my biggest mistake to invest that much money to Rollei but not a Leica. I used Zeiss copies 80 and 250 on Kiev and they were superior , there was light in the pictures.
    Yes , summer time , when the life is easy and time to invest on a machine. May be R4 or may be Leicina or may be point and shoot. Or may be a Kiev 60 , I love these machines look and pictures very much.

MattKing , I tried but could not agree with some canadian summilux glass. But if Elmarits are from Canada , I cant imagine to find better.

I feel digital Leicas as someone insults my mother , that strong feeling. But new X1 have no blue , orange , magenta , burned sienna cast and everything looks like a photograph not a detergant ambalage. I think people will be tired of these strong casts which I hate seeing at Canon and Nikon , film and digital.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Rol_Lei Nut ;

I think Your singapore Zeiss lens is Rollei 35 Sonnar. I have one and it is sensitive to minimum light change.
    My sensor is not working and it is extremelly difficult to get correct color print. I used 5 Leicas , all Wetzlar made and they were far faraway easier to use. I didnt any bad pictures in 36 never. Every photograph was art piece , color or bw. Its my biggest mistake to invest that much money to Rollei but not a Leica. I used Zeiss copies 80 and 250 on Kiev and they were superior , there was light in the pictures.

MattKing , I tried but could not agree with some canadian summilux glass. But if Elmarits are from Canada , I cant imagine to find better.
    The Zeiss/Rollei lens in question is a 25mm.

I decided to take a quick look around and see which of my Leica lenses aren't made in Germany (i.e. Canada - horror!!! :-) ):

Summicron R 90mm
    Summicron M 35mm
    Tele-Elmarit 90mm
    Apo-Telyt 180mm f/3.4

While the Tele-Elmarit might not be the absolute best of the 90mm Leica lenses for some aspects, it is a great carry around and landscape lens.
    The others are among my favorites.

There is definitely nothing "magical" about "Made in Germany".

BTW. I tend to prefer the look of Zeiss glass to Leica, though more recent Leica lenses are arguably technically better. Leicaflex SL & SL2 bodies are a strong argument for using Leica leses, even if they are less endowed with that 3d look.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One post on Flickr says this camera was made by Matsushita (Panasonic). That makes it unlikely the lens was made in Germany.

There is a Flickr group devoted to the Leica Mini.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/leicamini

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin