Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,093   Posts: 1,636,045   Online: 1276

Shooter
    35mm

Which Nikkor or NPK 105/2.5 to Add?

Looking over my notes, it is obvious that my NPK 105/2.5 P non-AI is my most used (and favorite) lens. Thus, I would like to add another 105/2.5, either non-AI or AI. I use a hand-held meter about 95% (or more) of the time, and so the AI capability is not a priority. Performance characteristics are my priority, and to some degree build quality is a factor. After the research I have done, I am favoring the 105/2.5 AI PC version (knurled focusing ring). I welcome any comments.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-22-2011 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have the Nikkor-P Auto black nose, knurled wide focus ring, chrome aperture indicator ring.
    Build quality is excellent as you'd expect but I think I need to have the lube repacked to tighten up the focus action a bit.
    Mine appears to be factory AI'd and is from the optical formula transition period.

I haven't been able to discern if it is earlier Sonnar or the later Gauss design but it matters not (to me)

Does anyone know how to identify the lens design? Serial number info is conflicting on the net but I heard somewhere you could tell by position of the rear element? ? ?

Always been a great performer.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 03-22-2011 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Looking over my notes, it is obvious that my NPK 105/2.5 P non-AI is my most used (and favorite) lens. Thus, I would like to add another 105/2.5, either non-AI or AI. I use a hand-held meter about 95% (or more) of the time, and so the AI capability is not a priority. Performance characteristics are my priority, and to some degree build quality is a factor. After the research I have done, I am favoring the 105/2.5 AI PC version (knurled focusing ring). I welcome any comments.
    Lots of useful lens info at www.nikonlinks.com, especially the reviews and Vink's spec listings and photos of Nikon lens variants.

Shooter
    35mm
    I made my decision. The deal on the second version (5/4 design) of the 105/2.5 non-AI (black nose) was too good to pass up. Thus, I opted for this lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bruce, the 105/2.5 on your FM2n has a mill job... Still has the scalloped aperture ring. The factory AI conversion kits used a ring that looked identical to the factory AI lens aperture rings, except for one thing. f/32, instead of f/22 as the min. aperture on the black barrel lenses. I've owned three Gauss design 105/2.5's. An AIS version with the hood, a Nikkor-P version, and a factory AI'd K lens. It is possible to de-AI a factory AI lens, btw. Just put a ring from a non-AI version on it. Not sure if that would enable f/32 on the formerly AI lens, though.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3HP, F2AS, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat EL, FT
    DPUG: D2x
    Nikkors: 18-55/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (f/D2x), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 H, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 PC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I had forgotten about this goofy f/32 feature. I would never have use for f/22 (and its diffraction), let alone f/32. I hope this added "feature" does not in any way detract from the performance of the lens. I have found that simpler, more straightforward lenses achieve the best results.

Later Gauss design has a rear element that fills the bayonet. Early Sonnar rear element is 2/3 the size. In close up range, it is not as sharp at 2.8 and 4.0.

Have two Gausses and one Sonnar that is factory fresh and mint. For all normal pictures, the images are identical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I had heard you could tell the lens design from the rear element. Thanks Ron.

And thank you John for the info regarding the ai conversion.

It appears I have the gauss design with a 3rd party conversion.
    This lens got sidelined for awhile but I am shooting it much more frequently now.

Shooter
    35mm
    These are interesting comments. I returned the 105/2.5 PC, as I just have no use for f/32 (and probably none I can imagine for f/22), and I surmised that there is something I like in particular about the earlier design. Perhaps I like what Ronald has identified?

I exchanged the lens for an NPK 135/3.5 Q.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin