Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,449   Online: 985

Uri

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Nikon FM2/FE2 meter problems...

Hi all,

I have an FM2 that has never missed a beat since i bought it 20 yrs ago. Also I just bought an FE2 off ebay in practically mint condition and just this week BOTH of them have started up with the EXACT same problem: the meter functions intermittently.
    FYI:
    1. the batteries are brand new energizers out of the packet (I have tried several sets from different shops).
    2. there is no visible corrosion in the contacts or chamber (i cleaned them anyway)
    Sometimes all is well and working, and then ... suddenly: dead. just when I think I am losing my mind - they work again!
    Anyone had this problem and know a solution?? can I dismantle/clean/fix this myself somehow?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Could be that both cameras have wiring issues under the baseplate, or the microswitch on the shutter release button isn't operating consistently. My last FM2n did at first have issues with the meter turning on. Had to hit it twice, then it came on. Am currently bidding on one that has a supposedly dead meter. As in, completely dead. Essentially is a Nikkormat FS with a smaller body, motor drive coupling, and faster shutter speeds. Will be interesting to see what I discover, if I get it...

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    ah, the joys of ebay roulette...

Could be the contacts inside,at the on switch and the switch on the shutter release.

Make sure the threads on the cap and chamber are clean too

I've been battling a FA with the same sort of problem.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin