Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shall I or not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is worth the money to you, and you have the money, go for it!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Re-read your post. I think that zoom lens you want might be a big disapointment, as it is a slow lens with limited range.
    If you go with the R system you will be pinning quickly for faster glass... and fast Leica glass with cost some very serous coin.
    Again I don't know (or need to know) your cash situation... just my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    This made me laugh because of the $700... $1000....??? price differential.
    FYI I think I paid 170 Euros for mine (used, of course). Used Nikkor 105's can be found for about 30-40 Euros less.

*Your* reality isn't everybody's...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that Leicas are generally not worth the cost...but that doesn't mean they are not outstanding cameras!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP here as inquired about an R-series camera, and so I have tried to keep my comments focused on things that would apply to that specific system. I did comparisons between the R-series features and functionality with the Nikon FE (and many other Nikon bodies), and found the FE (a camera that pre-dates the R5) to be far superior to the mid-vintage R-series cameras (R4 and R5). My findings had nothing to do with electronic gadetry. My shooting is all manual, and I very rarely even use an in-camera light meter. Likewise, I would never have a use for program mode, and avoid cameras that have this feature.

This review link may be of some assistance:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=59033
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-28-2011 at 09:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is what I think, others may agree or disagree.

If you buy anything but you are afraid to use it because you might break it or injure yourself it wasn't worth it. If you want the camera and you are going to use it a lot then go for it. If you want it and you are going to be afraid to take it with you just about every time you go out (unless it is the wrong camera for the job) it just is not worth it.

As for the fragile shutter, just like any other camera don't poke at and it should be fine.

Enjoy whatever camera you end up buying.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    The OP here as inquired about an R-series camera, and so I have tried to keep my comments focused on things that would apply to that specific system. I did comparisons between the R-series features and functionality with the Nikon FE (and many other Nikon bodies), and found the FE (a camera that pre-dates the R5) to be far superior to the mid-vintage R-series cameras (R4 and R5). My findings had nothing to do with electronic gadetry. My shooting is all manual, and I very rarely even use an in-camera light meter. Likewise, I would never have a use for program mode, and avoid cameras that have this feature.
    While the R4 & R5 aren't the best R cameras IMHO, just what are the "features and functionality" you used for your comparison that made the FE so superior?

Again IMHO, a better viewfinder for more accurate focus, a more dampened shutter and mirror for sharper images and often better lenses rate *very* high in my desired "features and functionality" list.

Have you actually used a Leica R? Even better, a Leicaflex SL, SL2, R8 or R9?
    I have used the Nikon FE (and many others) for a long time.....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is my perspective regarding features and functionality.

The FE has a bright, uncluttered, logical, unobstructed viewfinder, with full information, including aperture and shutter speed (both selected and suggested). I have used dozens of camera bodies--Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, and Canon--and the FE has, in my opinion, the best, most useful finder. I do not have to press a button to observe this information, either.

The shutter in the FE is also quieter than what I had observed in the R4. See the review link I posted in my previous message, as that user's findings are similar to mine.

Further, the FE has a better accessory set, especially in regard to the motor drive. I paid $16 for my MD-11 (an EX grade unit from KEH, not a beat up "bargain" from an eBay seller), and it is perhaps the best drive I have used. It is compact and has a built in grip (not an optional grip). It features all-metal construction (I once easily cracked the plastic top piece on the more expensive MD-12), a 3.5/sec. top speed, a remote socket, and a vertical release attachment feature. Better yet, the attachment of either an MD-11 or MD-12 makes the FE a "one switch" camera--the motor's power switch runs the whole rig. The only thing the MD-11 lacks (which the MD-12 has) is an automatic turn-off circuit. I have yet to have difficulty with this, as I just remind myself to turn off the unit when done. I did not have to pay $200 for the motor, or search high and low for one in decent shape, either.

With regard to lenses, the FE offers me the option of either non-AI or AI types. Thus, I may choose from numerous of classic and newer lenses, depending upon what I am trying to achieve (single-coated vs. multicoated, built-in hood vs. separate hood, etc.).

In short, I have yet to find a better system overall, although my Minolta XG-M/MD-1 setup is quite excellent, too. The XG-M has a nicer shutter release--nice and soft--and the vertical release on the MD-1 is simply outstanding (soft and well positioned) for shots in the vertical format.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 03-28-2011 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin