Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,844   Online: 720

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand (and I'm sure this is intended as a "vent" post). But I rarely shoot a full 36 exp roll at one time. So, if not using short rolls that I bulk loaded, I regularly shoot and process a partial roll. Just open the back in a changing bag or darkroom and snip off the exposed film.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man...I have the opposite problem. I wish the market norm for 35m film was 100 exposures. You must be pretty precise to have this problem. I'll take up to 20 photos of just one subject sometimes.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jordanstarr, I'm easily bored with a subject. You sound like a perfect candidate for digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't hate a bit strong of a word?

If you like the format, but want to shoot fewer frames, you can bulk load your film to whatever length you'd like. But I would say to just leave the film in your camera until the next time you shoot 8 pix. Four times, and your roll is full, and then you process without wasting time or chemicals to develop only 8 shots. Or learn the trick of snipping off your shot film and stowing it in a plastic cartridge to be developed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    By the way Ixdude, there is no way that you will get your hands on my little gems. Go get your own!
    I'm not interested in your little gems. Just your cameras.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually bulk load to 20 exp, but perhaps because that was a standard length when I started. I find 36 exp. too unwieldy in processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    I hate 35mm film!
    I have just counted and found that I have six cameras with part used film in them. I have no idea what is on these films. 36 exposures are far too many. I know I could buy 24 exposure films but that is still too many. I could take the film out of the camera and develop it when I have feel that I have taken enough pictures, but that is a waste.
    I have a Fuji GW690, 8 pictures per roll. Perfect! My RB67 gives me 10 pictures per roll, that's not too bad.
    But I love my 35mm cameras. Nikon F x 3, Nikkormat, Contax II, Konica Auto S2 and Zorki C. I don't know what to do.
    So what you are saying in essence is that every picture you take is perfect. The exposure, lighting, framing, subject, etc are all perfect. I sounds like you need to go out and take many pictures and try various things. Photography should be fun and not tedious. If you like your cameras use them. They are worth nothing sitting on a shelf.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    So what you are saying in essence is that every picture you take is perfect. The exposure, lighting, framing, subject, etc are all perfect. I sounds like you need to go out and take many pictures and try various things. Photography should be fun and not tedious. If you like your cameras use them. They are worth nothing sitting on a shelf.
    I agree. 36 frames are easy as pie to blow through on 8 compositions. If you cannot do this, I don't know what the hangup is. Every time I go to shoot something, I know there are at least a dozen ways I might go about it. With larger formats, I often have to pick just one or two. 35mm lets me try many of them. For starters, and this is something that an editor will love you for, BTW, try a horizontal and a vertical of each one, and a left and a right viewpoint of each one. Editors love this because it gives them options as far as page layout. It is how you should approach every single news event, for sure.

Anyhow, take your 8 subjects and apply this full coverage to them. Horizontal left, vertical left, horizontal right, vertical right. There are 32 shots. Then you have another 4 shots of another composition. (Or is 9 too many to keep you from blowing a gasket?)

If you are not trying different things, and if you are afraid to take a chance on something and mess up, then you are not getting the full benefit of 35mm. There are many successful ways to shoot every subject. Try some. Do it as a matter of course, especially with 35mm. Or else just shoot your 6x9! I really don't get the complaint.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I feel the same way with the original post. That is why I am gravitating to 645 (15)and 6X9 (8) and sheet film.

Dealing with sheet film is tedius but you can always discard the negatives that you don't like.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's getting a bit intense now, this thread was meant as a bit of fun but with a serious intent. Not every picture I take is perfect but when I see a subject I make the decisions then. I do not like to machine-gun the subject and then decide in the darkroom or( for me at present) in the digital darkroom. I am happy to achieve 1 or 2 "good" pictures per film of 8 exposures.
    I am nearing completion of a 5 x 7 camera, that is a bit too slow for me. I like 6 x 9 and will stay with that for a long time. But I do like my 35mm cameras.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin