Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,648   Online: 1100

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I hate 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went out today with my RB67 Pro S loaded with Fuji Reala 120 and my Canon TX with Delta 100 135-36 in it. I shot 3 rolls of the Reala 120 but the TX is still loaded ...

I load my own too but when I'm in a hurry it's just easier to open a box rather than reaching for a 100' roll and the changing bag!

That said, my 1N RS shoots at 10 frames per second so I can also run through a 36 roll in seconds when I really need to
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's useful to have lots of shots for some subjects. Some subjects, for which digital is benefiting efficiency, such as sports or events or traveling, having the ability to shoot many images is handy, and we can burn through 36 and need some more multiple times. Other times like casual every day shooting, 2-3 frames might suit our needs and it takes too long to burn through 36. This is where MF or LF comes in, though LF isn't casual like MF can be.

Focusing on the results, not the process, I'm still looking to get a spectacular photo on every page of negatives, whether it be a 36 exposure 35mm roll, a 12 exposure 6x6, or 4 sheets of 4x5. 8x10, I'm still below my goal as the keeper rate is similar to 4x5 for me.

I'm not using 35mm film so much anymore, but it is still great for some uses such as people and events and existing light indoors for which I also use digital, but I buy lenses that work with both film and digital. Where practical, I prefer the quality of MF/LF and the latitude of B&W film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Often I can go through a few rolls of 36exp per day and at other times a roll can sit in the camera for a few weeks. No matter. My grandmother hates the 36exp films; they take an age for her to finish, in fact, a 24exp film usually lasts 18 months!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Start shooting 8x10", where every sheet is the same as the area of a 36 exp. roll, and you'll stop worrying about the unexposed frames on your rollfilm cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    But I do like my 35mm cameras.
    Except when you hate 35mm.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Start shooting 8x10", where every sheet is the same as the area of a 36 exp. roll, and you'll stop worrying about the unexposed frames on your rollfilm cameras.
    Don't exaggerate David, there's a far simpler answer. I'm known for dropping coins and them landing on the back of my neck as I look for them

The OP should switch to Exakta's Varex/VX series, the built in blade allows the frames used to be cut off and processed separately.

I was just as tight when shooting half frame, it's the Scots blood.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    Jordanstarr, I'm easily bored with a subject. You sound like a perfect candidate for digital.
    That's hilarious that you would say I'm a perfect candidate for digital. The amount of photos one takes of a subject is a very subjective response. I like to really explore a subject/situation I find interesting 'cause there's always more than one way of looking at it. I don't fire off 9 frames per second like some digital photographers. I take a shot, take a step forward, a step back, switch the angle possibly, catch another moment of the situation evolving, etc. I think it was Freidlander who said "I like to throw a lot of balls in the air to see which one I catch". There's no problem in taking more than one shot of a subject. Sounds like you would be the perfect candidate for something other than photography if you "get bored easily with a subject".

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't hate 35mm. In the 1970s when I used nothing else, a Contax II, I created some great pictures. These days I have terrible problems with dust but digital editing makes it relatively easy to get rid of that problem.
    My real gripe is with these lovely (fondle, fondle ) 35mm cameras that make me go click, click , click. When I am using 120 I have no problem with controlling myself. My success rate is higher with 120 so I plan to stay with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, i have seriously given though to an Exacta. Trouble is, even though I am left handed I find them really difficult to handle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jordanstarr please don't be offended, I started this thread as a bit of fun. (I am a trifle pissed as I am celebrating a life changing event that I do not wish to discuss)
    Everyone has their own approach to any subject, I tend to take few pictures and then regret afterwards. But that's how I am.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin