Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,067   Online: 1109

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: I hate 35mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the waiting. I like the surprise when you get your photos back and see how they have turned out, it's almost like christmas. I like forgetting what I've shot and seeing it on a roll.

But yeah, as many people have stated, roll your own film, then you can choose the amount of frames you want, it's cheaper too.

Shooter
    35mm

Tongue in Cheek

I was not really defending digital vs film. I just thought I would stir the pot a little!

Shooter
    35mm
    Why does everyone complicate things? Two cameras, four lenses, two types of film, always 36 exposure. Don't need computer spreadsheets or sticky notes to keep track of what I shot. One camera with black and white, other with colour. Easy to remember what was shot with each. If you can't remember, there's nothing important on the roll.
    I also have to agree that if you can't use a roll of 36 in a day out shooting there is something wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by codester View Post
    Why does everyone complicate things? Two cameras, four lenses, two types of film, always 36 exposure. Don't need computer spreadsheets or sticky notes to keep track of what I shot. One camera with black and white, other with colour. Easy to remember what was shot with each. If you can't remember, there's nothing important on the roll.
    I also have to agree that if you can't use a roll of 36 in a day out shooting there is something wrong.
    Even black and white is too many choices.

One or the other!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Even black and white is too many choices.

One or the other!

I've had a few of these over the years. Up until now, I thought it was operator error. Didn't realize I was joining a movement.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    127 Format
    Why do you guys all have to be so... so... Negative?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by codester View Post
    I agree with all of this, except the last line. There are days that I don't feel compelled at all and squeeze off two or three frames. Then the camera can sit for days or weeks before I touch it again. And I don't see anything wrong with that. On the contrary, I think it might even be wasteful to just keep blasting away even when you're not feeling compelled to, just for the sake of finishing a roll. If the subject matter, light, or mood isn't calling my name, why force it?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm

why wait until the roll is finished

I regularly load film into the camera in darkness. First, cut off the leader and leave only about 1/2 inch of the film exposed.

In room light first I cock the shutter on the camera. then I cut a 2 inch of Scotch tape and wrap half around the take up spool, leaving about one inch free with the sticky part facing upward. Then, in darkness, I load the film and bind the emulsion side of the end of the film to the tape. I now have the film anchored and before I close the back I make sure that the sprocket holes are engaged and that the film is taut. That way I waste only about 2 inches of film per load and I can take as many pictures as I wish. A 36 exposure roll for me becomes a 'bulk load'! - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Why do you guys all have to be so... so... Negative?
    Most of the good positive comments have been discontinued.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, you can see right through the positives, anyway. Their transparency is self-evident.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-05-2011 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin