Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,035   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F100 diopter lens - how to identify?

On Nikon F100, one can have a diopter correction lens in the view finder. Does anyone know how to identify if one is installed and if so, what power? The one I have have no markings on it, yet turned all the way to minus direction, things aren't perfectly clear. I never had an issue like this with any other cameras Nikon or other brands. I do have strong near-sightedness but I do wear glasses when I shoot. Weird....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance the built-in diopter adjustment is busted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems to work, as I pull and turn the knob, the display does go fuzzy to almost sharp.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the scew in type usually have a small marking of the edge indicating which power it may be, it screws into the eye finder.
    the built in kind turns and you make the adjustment from the toggle.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably misunderstood but is there a screw-on diopter eyepiece in place?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the very question I'm asking. The piece that screws in IS there. The problem is, I have no idea if this is a kind with diopter adjustment or just a plain glass.

No marking what-so-ever, Ann.... "The toggle" on right side of the view finder is maxed out all the way to "-" side and it's still not enough.

I just unscrewed what's on there and placed it on something. It appears to be a regular glass.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if it has a built in one, and someone has added another, there will be a serious issue, I will go dig mine out of storage and take a look.

I did use a screw in type for years, but have forgotten when nikon began making them as a built in.

sounds like what you unscrewed might be just the glass. I will get back to you when i check my f100
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could the focus screen be misaligned?

Shooter
    Large Format
    See page 63 of the F100 manual for details about the diopter adjustment.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_f100-2.pdf

It has an internal diopter that can be varied from -3 to +1.

Additional adjustment is available by installing external fixed diopters of -5 to +3 instead of the plan glass screw-in eyepiece.

The standard configuration is a coated flat glass eyepiece at the rear. The internal diopter is varied by turning the diopter adjustment knob.

If the userís prescription is outside to the -3 to +1 range then, instead the user leaves the adjustment at 0 and buys a fixed diopter of -5 to +3 and install the fixed diopter in place of the plain rear lens to obtain the diopter correction marked on the screw-in fixed diopter.

As it is described, it sounds like the camera is currently in the standard configuration.

So long as the userís prescription is within -3 to +1 diopters the built-in adjustment should accommodate his eyesight.

If his or her eyesight is outside of this range, say, -4, then the user needs to purchase the -4 diopter eyepiece and install this instead of the plain eyepiece. The adjustment should be left at 0 or slightly displaced as needed to obtain the sharpest view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Ian. I found -2 and -3 at B&H. This is so odd. I am very near sighted but I do wear glasses. This is the only camera body where default adjustment isn't sufficient. I have it all the way to the limit on minus range and it needs tad more. I'm thinking of buying -3 and use the built-in one for slightly more power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin