Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,345   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Which would you prefer? Minolta vs Yashica RF...

So, my buddy has a box of old 35mm stuff and I'm repairing a MF camera for him so he offered me a choice of rangefinders: the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s or the Yashica Electro GSN. I currently have a Minolta SLR setup (which I might try to sell on here) since I tend to light rangefinders more.

On those thoughts: which would you choose? Both seem to have decent lenses--1.7 or 1.8--and seem to be in great condition.

Eh eh? Life is tough sometimes (he also offered to ship me both!)
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Yashica Electro GSN. It's a bit large, but takes fantastic photos. The lens is sharp and contrasty, easy to use.

No experience with the Minolta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both. Both are great. The GSN is prettier
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Prettier? I've seen both and they both seem well made and easy to use. I was considering the Minolta simply based on size, but am more concerned with speed of use and lens qualities.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Yashica has the better lens with a f1.7 aperture. It was called the poor man's Leica and is very well made. Yashica stated that the autoexposure mode was good up to 8 seconds but many users found this to very conservative and claimed twice this time. This and the wide aperture lens made the camera excellent for night photography. I have several and really like them.

You will need a battery adaptor, go to www.yashicaguy.com for more info and copy of manual (if you need one).
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-27-2011 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Gerald,

Sounds like the Yashica has more going for it after I read plenty of complaints regarding the 7s sticky shutter issues. I believe the camera has the adapter installed already, seeing as though he has shot rolls thru it.

Chers
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Check if the Yashica has manual exposure. Some of those Yashica, IIRC, are automatic-only.

I would choose based on weight, filter thread, and focusing direction.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a Yashica with Manual Exposure; go for the 14e Lynx with an f/1.4 lens
    http://www.cameraquest.com/yashlynx.htm
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s is like my Minolta Hi-Matic 9, I would choose it because I prefer cameras that can take photos with or without batteries.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    If the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s is like my Minolta Hi-Matic 9, I would choose it because I prefer cameras that can take photos with or without batteries.
    Now that is an interesting thought. I'll have to look into that.
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin