My reasons for preferring the F90/N90 family:
- as mentioned above, they use cheap, easy-to-get AA batteries
- interchangeable focusing screens
- fast autofocus with a wide sensor
- fast motor advance (3.6 fps F90/N90, 4.3 fps F90x/N90s)
- meter coupling with AI and newer manual focus lenses (you lose program mode and shutter priority, and matrix metering doesn't work, but that's livable). Many of the bodies suggested above do not meter at all with manual-focus lenses.
- available inexpensive vertical grip with its own shutter release (works with the F90x/N90s only)
- 1/250 flash sync speed and 1/8000 maximum shutter speed
These were semi-professional cameras and, for the price, are fantastic.