Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,492   Online: 892

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for the N90s. Mine from KEH was $ 27.00 (BGN). Out preforms the N80 I have. I had a pair of them (80s) and one day my son walked off with one. I used them for weddings, I loved the lightness of them that was it.

The 90s is quite bit more of a real camera. It can take just about every Nikon lens on it and still function. Has the screw drive in the mound for older D style lenses that the N80 does not. So just about what ever I put on it I can meter, auto focus, or manual focus with a spot metering feature.

Considering they were $ 1000 to 1200 new they are a hell of a buy now and they take AA batteries without buying a grip like the N80, it takes 123 batteries unless you buy a grip. I did, had two until my son did a disappearing act on one rig.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had an N80 for about six years, and it is easily my most used 35mm camera. It has virtually every function as the higher end Nikons... read a review here. Don't let the "lightweight" label fool you. It is a surprisingly robust camera, and with an MB-16 battery pack, it can take AA batteries. I got one for my daughter a year or so for $42. Pretty hard to beat.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm, N90s vs. N80:
    Pros of the N90s (as I see it):
    • AA w/o necessary grip
    • Compatible with more lenses
    • More heavy/sturdy (?)
    • Slightly newer AF
    • Frame rate (?)

Pros of the N80:
    • Lighter
    • Price
    • Cheap grip available

Anything I missed/am wrong about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    N80 is one of the last models Nikon made before making a corporate wide switch to digital. You are likely to find very lightly used bodies on the cheap. N90 do not work well with G lens (the ones that doesn't have aperture ring) and VR will not work at all. If you already have or intend to buy later lens, it may be a deal killer for you.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So, just use AF and AF-D lenses, then, once you've money, get an F100 or an F5. It's not like the D lenses are hard to find...

Get the N90s.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use G lenses on the F90/N90 series - I have - but you're stuck with program mode and shutter priority. Not optimal, but not fatal either. Program mode can be overridden to the combo you want by spinning the command dial.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    N90/F90 can use AI'd and up MF lenses, important if you have a lot of older lenses available.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I've had an N80 for about six years, and it is easily my most used 35mm camera. It has virtually every function as the higher end Nikons... read a review here. Don't let the "lightweight" label fool you. It is a surprisingly robust camera, and with an MB-16 battery pack, it can take AA batteries. I got one for my daughter a year or so for $42. Pretty hard to beat.

Cheers,
    N80 Deal Breaker(i.e., missing) Features<<drum roll>>

The N80 can't meter with MF lenses. Case closed.

Only 1/125 top synch speed--good bye outdoor/action fill flash.

Durability issues--it's really plasticky...and lightweight, too!

No PC terminal=no synch cord connection for studio flash.

Uses not-available-everywhere-cheap CR123 batteries.

Get an N90s/F90x...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Agreed. Find a solid n90s.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    N90 if you can find one for your price... bullet proof camera, just look out for dented up shutter blades...
    I wouldn't be shy to buy and "ugly" one if it performs well.
    I moved up to F100, which is as good as an F5 in my book and LIGHTER.... I shot a lot of film at the time and liked the in-body aperture control of the F100... but the N90s was no slouch and aside from the aperture control that at the time was important to me the N90 is a very nice package.
    the 8008 was a troublesome camera for me... owned 4... and they all were in and out of Nikon service from time to time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin