Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 872

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What cheap AF Nikon to get?

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a cheap (~$50) Nikon AF SLR, such as the N60, N80, N8008, etc. I'm looking for a recommendation of which one to buy, any help would be awesome! Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are your criteria? I have an N80 and it is a full featured SLR. Other than it being a bit light duty, I have no complaints. If you get one with data back, it's actually cheaper than non-data back ones. Weird....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At $50, a decent F90x is in the cards (or a slightly more decent F90). The US equivalents are N90s and N90, respectively. Faster AF and motor drive than the F801/N8008 series.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Really the only criteria I have are that it be relatively full-featured and be able to handle the normal rigors of daily use. I was just wondering if anyone has a reason for a certain preference.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is one of the more comprehensive discussions I've seen:

http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm

The bottom section covers AF cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    N-75 is a good candidate for you. I use it for C-41 color film and the F-100 for black & white.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have lenses with VR, N80 can utilize it but N8008 and N60cannot. Lens itself will still work. Just that VR won't work. N60 won't meter at all with AI or AI-s lens.

Since I own one, I'm biased but N80 is a great light weight body. It does require two 123A batteries though. At your price range, wouldn't choice partly depend on availability?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help! I think I'm leaning towards the N80, as it has all the features I'm looking for and they have it on Keh for about $50.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look seriously at the AA-powered models: 8008s(801s) and N90s(F90x). The 8008s is dirt cheap now and preferable for its spot metering and nice big viewfinder. The N90s is still a remarkably sweet camera with decent AF speed, great viewfinder and superb flash metering capability. Paired with the MB-10 battery grip, it's a nice handling camera. Both have accurate electronic rangefinders that provide focus confirmation with MF lenses. They get dissed for being plasticky but their all metal chassis makes them tough enough. They sold well, so finding a good, clean example should be straightforward and affordable. I'd try for an N90s/F90x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my N90s I got @ keh for $35

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin