Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,830   Online: 967

Thread: Leica r6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Leica r6

On the local craigslist there's a bloke selling a leica r6 slr with a 50mm f2 leitz Canadian lens,he's looking for $600 dollars for it.Im not saying that I'm interested in it but is there something that this set-up can do that I cant do with all my other cameras,I'm especially fond of my olympus OM 2n with 50mm 1.4 zuiko.Not wanting to offend any leica purists out there but is this thing worth it?Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    With the R6, Leica returned to the fully mechanical shutter so photographically speaking it doesn't have the OM2's aperture priority autoexposure nor it's outstanding OTF (off the film) metering capability.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    is $600 a fair price?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Leica name adds a premium to any sale.

It's hard to tell if it's worth it. Is the camera in excellent condition or has it been beat to hell and back? Any corrosion in the battery chamber? Any dust in the viewfinder? Is the body covering in good shape?

It think the price is a bit high. However, if I was really looking for an R6 in excellent condition and could handle the camera before buying, then it might be a reasonable price.

You should get on eBay and look for completed listings for this model.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would say that's a very good price if the body and lens are in ex condition. The 6 (along with the WAY more expensive 6.2) is considered an R classic, and the Summicron is a great lens from what I have seen and heard (I don't own one). Bigger and heavier I believe than an OM1, but as was said before... it's a Leica ;-) I am not experienced enough (and frankly have learnt not to care enough) to start lens wars, but IMO I think the rendering of the Leica lens is superior than anything I have seen from Zuiko 50's. I own a 1.8 and used to own a 1.4 and frankly they don't compare to the Summicron. I love my OM but the normal lenses are just 'very good' as opposed to being special. I know I am going to get blasted ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For that price, you could get a Leicaflex SL (or maybe even an SL2) + a CLA.

The R6 is a nice camera (better viewfinder than most) but IMHO not that special.
    The Leicaflexes mentioned above *are* special...

(Big, heavy beasts, but the R lenses themselves are big, heavy beasts).
    About the Leicaflexes being 30+ years older than the R6, if CLA'd the'll certainly outlive the newer camera (watch out for prism de-silvering on the SL - though also fixable within that budget).
    Even the *terrible* obsolete battery problem many mention is in fact no problem at all and has several good solutions.

Not personally familar with that 50mm, but it should be excellent.
    Leica lenses need to be looked at case by case. Some are simply good (a very few even average) and some are exceptional.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin