Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax bodies

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone for the input.

I had considered a Nikon as there are a larger number of available telephoto lenses, but most are out of my current price range (for the next year or four).

The Spotmatic is also something I've looked at and again it came down to the number of available lenses to suit my needs.

The ME Super looks like something worth considering - it's still within my price range and has lenses in my price range that will suit my needs. I may be sold on it just for the fact that it's lighter than the others. They're all heavier than my Minolta - so lighter is a definite plus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a k1000 for more than 20-years. I've used it in the mountains in cold weather, and on the beach, actually wading well into the water to take photos of surfers. I used it to photograph sports when I worked for a newspaper. I gave it rough treatment and it worked well. I used everything from Kodachrome 25 to Tri-X.

Now, it's developed the only problem I've ever had with it - the light seal around the mirror is deterioriating and the mirror sticks up sometimes. It's an easy fix for a repairman - there are even kits sold on ebay.

I'd strongly recommend it as a camera for learning. And look for one of the metal ones.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pentax k1000 or a nikon fm/fm2 - for a total manual starter camera you can't go wrong with either of these. they're dependable in a lot of situations and easy to get repaired.

tomtom

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom
    pentax k1000 or a nikon fm/fm2 - for a total manual starter camera you can't go wrong with either of these. they're dependable in a lot of situations and easy to get repaired.

tomtom
    Don't forget the Pentax MX either-light, compact and the leds in the finder are easier to see in low light than the needle on the KX/K1000.I've seen these two go for £100ish with standard lenses so I'd keep your eyes open though.The MX was my first camera (I now have an LX) and I still think they're great (cue Hovis ad music...)
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax KX

I have a Pentax KX, which I highly recommend. It works just like the K1000 but has more features, and it meters the best of any camera I've got.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    why not buy a Spotmatic? A great oldie adn plenty to be found. Many have been rebuilt and will last another 30 years with a little care.
    Nice thing about Spotties is that they can be had fairly cheaply, and depending on how carefully you shop, decent lenses (SMC Taks for instance) can be had cheaply as well with certain exceptions. This summer, my walk-around kit was a messenger bag stuffed with Spottie with a SMC Tak 50/1.4, Fuji 28/3.5, 100/2.8, and a Luna Pro all puchased used. I certainly wouldn't want that kit trashed or stolen, but the total expense was small enough that I'd not cry for too long if it were.

Today I won an auction for a fourth SMC Tak 50/1.4. You might guess I like this normal.

Sorry to ramble about kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also recommend the KX; bought mine new in 1977. In the UK they are still holding their prices quite well but here the market for older autofocus Pentax SLR's seems to have nosedived. A few days ago I was able to purchase from a dealer an excellent Z-50P (PZ-50P in US) body for just £49 which is less than half of what a KX would cost. And this is only 10 years old while the KX cameras are now around 25 years old. Unlike the K1000 they didn't stay in production of a very long period. So if you can pick up a Z/PZ series body at a low price it might be worth considering as it can be switched to manual and unlike some of the later MZ/ZX series it is compatible with the earlier bayonet lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to propose a completely different idea to you. If you want to go manual, why don't you look for a decent used Pentax LX? I would say they are (were) Pentax' top of the line professional camera at one point and I am sure you can get a used one on KEH, etc... for a pretty good price.

The advantage besides having a top quality camera is the possible accessories you could get, albeit in the used arena.

Just a thought.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyte:
    I've got KX & Mx both, very similar cameras in that they're mechanical shutters. The MX is very light & compact and would be a good choice for someone who doesn't want a heavier camera. If you're going to do nature stuff it will also take a winder. The KX won't unless you want to spend collector $$.
    About the only advantage in the KX is the depth of field preview & mirror lockup. Both features are great if you do macro work. If you are doing work that doesn't give you the time to check DOF then it's immaterial.
    There's really no reason to go to the older cameras like spotmatics or even the auto series (ME/etc) but they can be had for peanuts. I think you should be able to pick up either KX or MX body for less than $100 on ebay. I just got my KX for $49 + shipping
    If you want to use screw mount lenses on the KX or MX there's an adapter available for that purpose. That would give you long lenses on the cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone. I still haven't made a decision but I'm keeping notes of all the given advice. I'm not looking to make a decision now until January or February.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin