Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,937   Online: 868

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax bodies

Images
    This thread has inspired me to load up my k1000 from high school with some Tri-X rated at 1600. I am going to play around with it today at work
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops am I bad, both cameras (KX/MX) have DOF preview, KX also has lockup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you check KEH prices, you'll find manual Nikon bodies for about what you'll find Pentax K1000, etc., and with people dumping their manual lenses, the lens selection is both wider and less expensive. A cleaned FG/FM/FM2 or even FM10 will do you quite nicely, and it's hard to beat the lens selection. Fast normals are ~100, and if you consider the older pre-AI Nikkormats (you'll need a hand-held meter), you can get the non-AI lenses even cheaper.

Depressingly, I see that the Fs, on the other hand, are going back up in price.

Any Canon FD or Olympus OM defenders care to offer a take on their current viability? Nothing wrong with the Pentaxes, but there are a lot of good choices out there today, which have suddenly become affordable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you consider Nikon check the FE/FE2 as well.
    I like it better than the FM, very rugged (mine is 25+ yr old)

For an excellent Nikon classic compendium check:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../htmls/models/
    Has comprehensive info in each model and even instruction manuals.

As per Pentax, I consider those bodies top notch, and the Takumar glass is awesome!
    I own a couple of Spotmatics (screw mount) and love them.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stay away from the Nikon FM10, it was made by Chinon & left a LOT to be desired as far as reliability. I speak as someone who has taken alot of these cameras back from very unhappy photo 1 students over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a Pentax user of 27 years I'd recommend an MX, it's by far the nicest to use, unfortunately mine needs repair, as does my KX, both great cameras.

If you can find one a Spotmaic F is a great buy and there's plenty of good Takumar lenses on e-bay to fit. The Sp F was my first of many Pentax's and a 21st birthday present, sold it to go bayonet and always regretted it. Recently bought a mint model at a gallery, it had been donated to help raise funds - turned out I knew the original owner, just acquired an early 60's Sp on ebay alongside a Chinon CE4 & 5 excellent lenses.

The Spotmatics will get used, they are real - no Av, Tv, AE or Program rubbish jusy choose the f stop or speed and adjust the other. It's time manufacturers realised photographers want simplicity again.
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-19-2004 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon is out simply because figuring out which lenses and which accessories work with which bodies seemed to confusing for me. I tend to stick with that which is nearly self explanitory. Which is why I bought a Maxxum as my first SLR - Maxxum lenses for Maxxum cameras. It's cut and dry - I can't goof and get something that won't work.

Even the Pentax K-mounts are confusing for me, but I've found it's not so bad that I can't live with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you get a manual K-mount like the K1000, KX or the various other all manual K-mounts (Ricoh, Chinon, Vivitar) ANY k-mount lens (non-autofocus)) will work on ANY of the bodies. I have K-mount bodies from Ricoh, Pentax and Chinon and lens from all of those makers plus Kiron and Vivitar and all work interchangeable. The problems come in when you are using program or aperture-priority bodies and them you need the proper K-mount variation.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most Nikorr lenses work with all cameras. They haven;t changed the mount in decades.
    If you get manual focus lenses AI/AIS will be the most common and work with all the manul focud bodies and with most of the AF bodies
    Auto focus lenses will work with the manual bodies as long as they have the focusing and aperture rings.

I have only pentax screw mount bodies, with takumar lenses, a few Fujinons, Yashinons, and Sears/JCPenney/KMart brand leses. Beware of the T-mount lenses, you'll need an adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by anyte
    Nikon is out simply because figuring out which lenses and which accessories work with which bodies seemed to confusing for me. I tend to stick with that which is nearly self explanitory. Which is why I bought a Maxxum as my first SLR - Maxxum lenses for Maxxum cameras. It's cut and dry - I can't goof and get something that won't work.

Even the Pentax K-mounts are confusing for me, but I've found it's not so bad that I can't live with it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Elox
    If you get a manual K-mount like the K1000, KX or the various other all manual K-mounts (Ricoh, Chinon, Vivitar) ANY k-mount lens (non-autofocus)) will work on ANY of the bodies. I have K-mount bodies from Ricoh, Pentax and Chinon and lens from all of those makers plus Kiron and Vivitar and all work interchangeable. The problems come in when you are using program or aperture-priority bodies and them you need the proper K-mount variation.
    I think you mean shutter-priority. The earliest K bayonet lenses will give aperture priority on a suitable body but they can't give program or shutter priority because they lack the extra coupling found on the KA series lenses.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin