Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,659   Online: 815

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax bodies

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Most Nikorr lenses work with all cameras. They haven;t changed the mount in decades.
    If you get manual focus lenses AI/AIS will be the most common and work with all the manul focud bodies and with most of the AF bodies
    Auto focus lenses will work with the manual bodies as long as they have the focusing and aperture rings.

I have only pentax screw mount bodies, with takumar lenses, a few Fujinons, Yashinons, and Sears/JCPenney/KMart brand leses. Beware of the T-mount lenses, you'll need an adaptor.

"Most" is a word that leaves room for a lot of confusion for me. Pentax K-mount bodies use K-mount lenses - though those lenses vary from manual to AF to I don't know what else. There's a very indepth source on the internet that breaks down all the different Pentax bodies and accessories.

Perhaps some day when I have matured more and feel more confident I can take the leap to using a Nikon.

I haven't given much consideration to any Pentax screw mount bodies as that too is a bit too confusing for me.

Thank you all for the continued input.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought a KX brand new in 1978 - it was my first "real" camera so, I may be just a little biased. I am a self confessed equipment junkie so, I have also owned and used lots and lots of different cameras including the K1000. That good old Pentax KX is still my favorite for many purposes.

One important difference between the Kx and the K-1000 / KM is the light meter. The KX light meter can be turned on/off while the K1000/KM light meter is "alway on" it draws very little current when the lens cap is on but, make no mistake, it is always on. The KX meter is also technically superior. It uses two light sensing devices (silicon photo diodes ?) where the K1000/KM use one CDS cell. I've owned both and never really liked the K1000 for this reason. You loose your lens cap, your battery is done.

Finally, I have to agree with previous posters. The K1000 is generally over priced on the used market. The later production units were made of plastic and quality is nowhere near what it was in the mid 1970's to early 1980's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ANYTE:
    Nikon AI/AIS will work in any mnaul body (built after 1980) like the FM, FE, FE2....
    not sure if those work in the F amd F2
    the mount has not been changed in decades
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm so glad I popped in here tonight as I am looking to buy a s/hand camera body. As I already have a Ricoh, it needs to be a K-mount so all your comments have been very helpful for me as well. Thanks Anyte for the question and thanks to you all for the info.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    I'm so glad I popped in here tonight as I am looking to buy a s/hand camera body. As I already have a Ricoh, it needs to be a K-mount so all your comments have been very helpful for me as well. Thanks Anyte for the question and thanks to you all for the info.

Welcome to APUG Carol. I'm glad my question and everyone's input was of help to someone besides myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As other Nikonistas will refine, modern AI/AIS lenses can be used on the old F/F2/Nikkormats, but not always vice-versa. My wife's FG can't take non-AI, while some of the other bodies can. This is good, as you can use the modern 14mm 2.8 without having to upgrade from your classic F. (not on my budget, but I'm sure on somebody's)

Always thought it was nice that Pentax kept the same mount for so long, so that lenses you bought for a K1000 can still be used on a modern body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm so glad I popped in here tonight as I am looking to buy a s/hand camera body. As I already have a Ricoh, it needs to be a K-mount
    Any K mount Pentax that has a manual mode is better than a K1000, So KM, KX, LX, MX, (ME Super if you must- I did have one) after that watch out I nave a P30 and its DX coding only for film speedand no external flash sync, just a hot-shoe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm so glad I popped in here tonight as I am looking to buy a s/hand camera body. As I already have a Ricoh, it needs to be a K-mount...
    Why not another Ricoh? Going to be cheaper than a Pentax and same functionality. What model have you got? My 1st SLR was a KR-10

Also, back to the Nikons for a sec, from what I understand, Nikons with the flip up index tab (FE,FM, FE2?) can mount just about any Nikkor (one or two exceptions regarding fisheyes that need proper mirror lock up), and earlier F cameras (F, F2, Nikormat, etc) can mount anything but require the rabbit ears meter coupling for the meter to work with it. I have a pre Ai lens that my FE can use but only with stopped down metering (you need to stop the lens down to working aperture to meter as it doesn't meter with the diaphram at full open), but my FM2n can't mount it as it doesn't have the flip up tab thingy. The mir site linked above probably explains all this accurately!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome Anyte and good luck with your purchase. If it's any help I use Pentax, Sigma and Ricoh K-mount lenses on my trusty old Ricoh.

Looks like you might be right Nige. I 'phoned the shop I usually deal with in Adelaide today and they have a Ricoh KR10 available. I already have a KR5 SuperII which is completely manual, but I'd like to be able to leave B&W in one and colour in the other. I also like to take some night sky pics and basic is best for those. Darn, I really would have liked to see DOF preview just once.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Any K mount Pentax that has a manual mode is better than a K1000, So KM, KX, LX, MX, (ME Super if you must- I did have one) after that watch out I nave a P30 and its DX coding only for film speedand no external flash sync, just a hot-shoe.
    What makes you think any cam in manual is better?
    hi!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin