Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,575   Online: 1001

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax bodies

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ask around for a Ricoh XR-1 or XR-2. Both are manual cameras and have DoF preview and mirror prefire (mirror up on self-timer). I have an XR-1 that I used before I switched to mostly medium format and it is a very nice camera. And I have found the older Ricoh mechanical cameras to be very reliable. My TLS (M42) is still going strong after 30 years. :-)
    JeffW.

Images
    Just remember the more bells and whistles these old manual bodies have, the more things you have that can go wrong. That for me is the beauty of the k1000. You can also simulate DOF preview by partially taking the lens off the body.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started out with a Pentax PZ-70 (no longer made), then picked up an ME Super after I gave up trying to find a K-1000, so I could have two cameras. I had to fight the temptation to switch to Nikon or Canon simply due to all the advertisements etc., but I had already invested in a nice lens and flash so staying with Pentax was an easy decision. I love the ME but to be honest I really don't use it all that much. I love how small it is though, and I plan to keep it for my kids first real camera when they are ready. I had thought about selling the ME on Ebay, but from what I could tell they were pretty cheap, so you might get a better deal. They are a bit more automatic than the K-1000, but not to much.

I also have never used DOF preview.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used the Pentax LX for a very long time and it was a beautiful camera that never gave me any problems. I still regret letting it go on a trade in. I'll get some complaints but I think the Ashi glass was some of the best around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like the old pentax bodies, having cut my teeth on my fathers spotmatic, which never seems to show signs of age! I like the ME series because they are so dinky and smoother to fire IMHO compared to clunkier larger NIkon FMs etc. To chage direction a little, I felt when I had 3 models to play with (FM2n, OM1n,ME Super) that the Olympus OMs were simply beautiful. Small, well made and so much smoother to fire. Outright winners for me. As much as I respect the manual Nikons, it was so crude in comparison (almost agricultural) that it was the least appealing, although if the test had been which would survive a nuclear blast I'm sure it would have won. I have seen extremely clean ME Supers here in the UK with 50mm f1.7 for £80. What a steal. The lenses are as cheap as chips too. The manual Nikons seemt ot be at least twice as expensive used and I cannot see what the extra money is for. Wise choice the Pentax and the optics will be every bit as good as the Nikons on prime lenses. The old primes on my fathers screw M42 lenses are sharper by far than my modern zooms. They can be had for peanuts.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all for the advice. The Ricoh XR-1 sounds very tempting. I didn't know about mirror prefire which would be ideal if I ever get to take pics through my telescope as any vibration at all is unacceptable. The odds are against me finding one of those at the shop I use, but I trust them and they give a 3 month guarantee on s/hand gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Ricoh XR-1 is a very solid camera but the shutter is very loud. The whole world knows when you've taken a photo! I don't know whether later models are quieter as I haven't used any. The XR-1 was the first of their K-bayonet series.

Shooter
    Medium Format

XR sound

Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    The Ricoh XR-1 is a very solid camera but the shutter is very loud. The whole world knows when you've taken a photo! I don't know whether later models are quieter as I haven't used any. The XR-1 was the first of their K-bayonet series.
    The metal-bodied Ricoh manual cameras are somewhat loud. But the Copal shutter they use seems to be completely reliable and very durable. When the went to the later Cosina-made body (KR-5 Super II) they were much quitere but far less durable. The electronic shutters were quieter than the mechanical bodies. Persoanlly, I find the noise from a Mamiya M645 to be more noticable even though it is quieter.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for noise, try a MD12 on a Nikon... chunka...chunka.. chunka...

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello people, this is my first post here at apug.

I just love pentax cameras, I have three bodies and several prime lenses and i love them all.
    For a manual, durable camera I would definately recommend the MX. It's just such a wonderful camera, small and light, but still a great feel to it.
    The battery only runs the lightmeter so everything is mechanical.

They can be found pretty cheaply today, although not as cheaply as a K1000.

/Henri

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin