Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,757   Posts: 1,516,006   Online: 896

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pentax bodies

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax bodies

I've been considering getting a Pentax for some time. I've done quite a bit of research and still find myself unable to decide between 3 (all of which are available at the time of this writing).

The three I've been considering are the K-1000, the KM, and the KX -- if anyone has an opinion on any of the three I would appreciate the input. Or if you think there is another that I might consider I'm open to that as well.

I have leaned more towards the K-1000 for it's popularity and because it requires the user to think and learn more so than the others. The KX has more functionality, such as the DOF preview, and many pros recommend getting a camera with a DOF preview. The KM is just the in-between model.

Thank you. All input is greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Anyte,

I have Nikon MF cameras and would suggest getting a camera with DOF preview if possible. If you're interested in close-ups (or proper macros) it's very useful (once you get used to seeing the darkened view). K1000's are regulary over-priced due to their student related 'legend' status. So I'd be aiming for a KX, but overall condition would be the overriding factor for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Hi Anyte,

I have Nikon MF cameras and would suggest getting a camera with DOF preview if possible. If you're interested in close-ups (or proper macros) it's very useful (once you get used to seeing the darkened view). K1000's are regulary over-priced due to their student related 'legend' status. So I'd be aiming for a KX, but overall condition would be the overriding factor for me.
    Hmm... Of all the "features" I have, I think Depth Of Field preview is the one I've used least. Things just get too dark for it to be effective.

Uh... Nikon "MF"??? Does Nikon make Medium Format cameras??
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi anyte - -

i have a k1000 that i got way back in 80'. if you get a k1000 make sure that it is an older one with a metal body, the new ones were made of metal-looking plastic or something. mine jumped out of a backpack when i was chasing a bus ... it has a little duct tape on it but still works fine
    the newer ones i don't think would have fared so well.
    i also have a me super and use it pretty often. it too does not have a DOF preview ... and i don't really miss it. cameras and lenses that i currently own that do have DOF preview ... i never use it ...

the me super weighs a fraction of what the k1000 weighs - titanium shutter, and is tiny. you might spread a wider net and think about one of those as well ...

good luck!
    -john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon MF as in Manual Focus... I use DOF preview a lot. Actually I use it with my Mamiya 645 too. Maybe I'm weird!

If DOF is not needed, I'd agree with the ME Super suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Go for the KX!

I own a K1000 and know it has no features other than the very basics. The KM adds a timer and DoF preview. The KX has the timer, DoF preview, and also mirror lockup. I've been considering picking up a KX camera body for myself.

Check out http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/ for more information than you ever wanted to know about Pentax equipment.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, of the 35's I have used DOF has always been important to me as well Nige. So if you are weird, that would make two of us...and yeah, I use DOF on my 645 also. Guess that's one reason I never really got into rangefinder cameras.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    why not buy a Spotmatic? A great oldie adn plenty to be found. Many have been rebuilt and will last another 30 years with a little care.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    why not buy a Spotmatic? A great oldie adn plenty to be found. Many have been rebuilt and will last another 30 years with a little care.
    Oh yeah! My first "real" analog camera I had was my father's Spotmatic with 50 mm and 135 mm lenses. I really appreciated that camera (and still shoot it occasionally). The mirror and shutter is as good as new.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When my daughter wanted a manual camera, it was the K1000. That was 6 years ago and it is still going strong. I grew up with a Spotmatic and loved it. They are both good choices. If you can afford it, a manual focus Nikon would be a great choice. The optics on the Nikons can be surpurb.
    "while a hundred civilizations have prospered (sometimes for centuries) without computers or windmills or even the wheel, none have survived even a few generations without art." David Bayles & Ted Orland Art & Fear

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin