Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,049   Online: 1278

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'm partial to the semi-ancient MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4. Nice on film bodies and <<gasp>>micro 4/3s cameras via adapters. Probably my favorite fast 50-ish lens--regardless of mount.
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I see a bunch of different minolta normal lenses (50mm, 58mm, etc)
    Which versions are the 'good ones'?
    All the Rokkors are good, all the 50's. I shoot the 50/2 and it is as sharp at f/2 as the 1.4. The 1.2 is super as well (aren't they all?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    All the Rokkors are good, all the 50's. I shoot the 50/2 and it is as sharp at f/2 as the 1.4. The 1.2 is super as well (aren't they all?).
    Exactly, a decent 50mm isn't exactly rocket science.
    Not trying to sound snide but stating the obvious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had several normal lenses including the 50mm f/1.4 and the 58mm f/1.4. I was always partial to the 58mm f/1.4 even though it was much older.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The MD 24/2.8 is awesome. Maybe the best across brands. The 28 is.....meh. The 35/2.8 is very good. The 45...another meh. 58's good. 85 awesome. 100's all excellent. 135/2.8 is fantastic. 35-70/4 and 70-210/4 terrific. In fact, those zooms challenge the primes save for DOF.

I prefer the MD's as they have better flare control.

I shot my X-500 w/Ektar today!

Rokkorfiles is a reliable source for the manual focus items, but sadly incomplete.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was staying with the OPs question on normal lenses. I also liked the 28mm and the f/2.8 21mm lens. Because I had those two I never tried the 24mm which I am sure is good. I did not like the 35mm because it was too close to the 50mm and 58mm lenses, but that is not to say that the 35mm was a bad lens.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My absolute favorite was the MC 58/1.2, which I actually got as a kit lens with an SRT-101 at an estate auction. New in the box with (corroded) batteries still in their packaging! Next would be the MC 35/1.8, which I lusted after for a long time before it fell into my lap, cheap, at a camera show. It was broken, but they're hard to find and I had it fixed. After that, it's tough. The MC 24/2.8 is great but I didn't use it all that much; the 85mm f/1.7 MC was the best 35mm portrait lens I've ever had, bar none. Love that Minolta glass!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    The MD 24/2.8 is awesome. Maybe the best across brands.

The 24mm was rebranded and used by Leica (albeit built with stricter tolerances and more quality control).

That version of the lens is generally considered good, but not great by today's standards... More or less on the par with the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8.
    The original Minolta version probably has more sample variation.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had a ton of Minolta manual focus glass pass though my hands over the years. All of the primes were, and still are fantastic! I think the 45/2.0 was my favorite normal focal length lens. These things are tiny, light weight, super inexpensive and sharp, sharp, SHARP!

Even the later 50mm f/1.7 MD lens is awfully damned good for the money - they could be had for next to nothing last time I looked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 50 1.2 MD is a stellar lens. Trying to score a 58 1.2 right now ...

I also love my 24 2.8 and surprisingly the beercan as well (20-200) that came free with the 24 I bought. I have a really hazy copy of the 135 as well, that other than lack of contrast, performs quite well.

I need to get an 85 now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin