Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,997   Online: 785

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Minolta normal lenses.. which are the good ones?

I see a bunch of different minolta normal lenses (50mm, 58mm, etc)
    Which versions are the 'good ones'?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm partial to the semi-ancient MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4. Nice on film bodies and <<gasp>>micro 4/3s cameras via adapters. Probably my favorite fast 50-ish lens--regardless of mount.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got the Minolta AF 50mm 1.7 and love the darn thing. Great contrast, sharp, fast. It's a solid performer.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a 1.4 MC Rokkor with the waffled focusing ring and 55mm threads that was stellar. I currently have a 1.7 MC Rokkor with 52mm with the scalloped focusing ring that is less sharp wide open but has a really nice rendition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 58 1.4 mc rokkor, a 50 1.4 pg mc rokkor, a 50 1.7 md, and the 45mm f2. My favorite overall is the 50 1.4 pg but they are all very good lens. The 58mm can flare in tough situations, the 50 1.7 is very contrasty and sharp but the oof rendition is a little hard.

Marty

Shooter
    35mm
    If you don't know the site already I can suggest "The Rokkor files" for interesting information, and tests, of Minolta Rokkor lenses (and other Minolta material).

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20Reviews.html
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very limited experience, but regarding the MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 -- sharp but surprisingly low contrast. (at least my copy) That said, I tried it out for night street shooting at ISO 1600 and that property made it a good choice, keeping the lower values from dropping too far. But it also produced beyond weird artifacts, like "donuts" from distant traffic lights that looked like it was taken with a mirror lens.
    On the other hand, the 50mm 1.4 MC Rokkor-X PG (late, rubber focusing ring) has stunning flare control. If you need to tame specular highlights, while still retaining a sense of brilliance, I'm not sure you could do better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The best Minolta normal lens is a free one. PM me and for the cost of postage I'll send you a 50mm f/1.7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some reason I usually travel with three normal lenses.
    I have the 58mm f/1.4; 50mm f/1.7; and the 45mm f/2.0;
    The 58mm f/1.4 is usually my favourite !
    And I only paid $7.00 for the 45mm f/2.0;
    I'm still in mourning for the loss of my 58mm f/1.2 ...

But, I'm sure that you'll love the free 50mm f/1.7, that Barry S has offered !

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 04-22-2011 at 01:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected spelling of favorite, in case Steve Smith stops by ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's something special about the MC58mm f/1.4, I'm quite partial to it.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin